How do i stop my cat from biting and taking claws out?...really!

katocy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Toby - 2 years old, neutered - is an affectionate, highly intelligent (almost like a trained dog), purring machine. He loves to be petted and given attention. Only problem is, i have to always be careful when i am handling him because if not, he almost always bites.

His bites dont really hurt and they are quick...but psychologically, its playimg a toll. Cant realy relax around him. Its not really petting induced aggression because on an agressiom scale from 1-10, Toby is like a -10. Its just somthig he does with zero agression.

Also scratching. He takes out his claws to grab onto you when you are moving him off you or when he is rollin on you. Tried the whole firm no and walking away but its not really working. Any sure fire way to get him to stop?

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kittens are still very little. When they do play bite me, I "squeal" like their mom or siblings would do when it's too hard for play, and remove my hand, toes, etc. I've noticed more licking instead of biting now. Is this a recent behavior or has he always been like this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katocy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kittens are still very little. When they do play bite me, I "squeal" like their mom or siblings would do when it's too hard for play, and remove my hand, toes, etc. I've noticed more licking instead of biting now. Is this a recent behavior or has he always been like this?
Nah its always been like this

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you have two issues at work here - one is overstimulation and the other is he's seeing you as a toy/plaything.

Stop  all hand play, foot play etc. Instead give him plenty of interactive playtime with wand toys to wear him out whilst keeping the action well away from your body.

When petting/handling him, be very aware of his body language. At the first hint of a tail twitch, stop petting. If he does get you, freeze. he's treating you as prey. When prey dies its no longer of any interest. 
[article="22328"]How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats  [/article][article="0"]Cat Play The Rules Of The Game  [/article][article="0"]Playing With Your Cat Ten Things Every Cat Owner Needs To Know  [/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katocy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you have two issues at work here - one is overstimulation and the other is he's seeing you as a toy/plaything.

Stop all hand play, foot play etc. Instead give him plenty of interactive playtime with wand toys to wear him out whilst keeping the action well away from your body.

When petting/handling him, be very aware of his body language. At the first hint of a tail twitch, stop petting. If he does get you, freeze. he's treating you as prey. When prey dies its no longer of any interest. 

[article="22328"] [/article]

[article="0"] [/article]

[article="0"] [/article]
I dont think its overstumilation because sometimes it happends secs into the petting. It happens especially when my hand is close to his mouth. Thats why i am always cautious where my hand is when petting him. He just impulsively, really quickly, bites it...snap! I dont play with him, ever. Just pet him. Ive got other cats that he plays with. He also got his toys.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats get overstimulated really quickly. Also, look at when you're going to pet him - if he's really alert/playful...and especially if his pupils are dilated...then he's not in the right frame of mind to be petted, and so treats your hand as a toy.

I really think you'd see a difference in him if you gave him interactive playtime. My cats play with each out, but they love to play with me too - it satisfies their prey drive in a way that playing by themselves or with each other just doesn't. Give it a try - you might be surprised at the difference it makes.