How do I respond to this?

CuteBabyBiscuit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Biscuit is growing well, she’s really learned how to hold back when biting or tackling. And while she still “tackles” me while on the phone there is no more claws or bites like before. The only damage I’ve got from her was when she stepped over me and her back paw slipped on my arm and she accidentally gripped lol. At 8 months she’s doing really well and really settling down. (has her crazy moments like most kittens lol) That being said, when I sit at my desk (which I don’t do often enough) she jumps on the back of the chair and bats my head or goes at my arms and legs. No hesitation. Should I train her like I have been the other times? Ignoring the behavior and rewarding any good behavior or is this like her other quirks and might just fade with time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If ignoring the behavior and rewarding any good behavior has worked with her for other situations, then it likely will work for this one. However, I don't know if you are trying work when at the desk and can tolerate the disruption. She sounds like she is trying to get your attention, so maybe a play session right before you plan on sitting at the desk might be helpful.

If your previous approach to training is a problem, and the play sessions don't help, you can always pick her up, say a firm 'No' or hiss in her face (pick one and stick with it, and then put her in a time-out for a minute or two (no longer as cats tend to forget why they were put there if left too long, and repeat, repeat, repeat.

You can let it go and hope it is just a phase, but why not try to nip it in the bud instead?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Regardless of what others may say, I've found that time-outs DO work for cats, but ONLY when, as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner says, they are no more than a minute or two. And I've also found that hissing is highly effective, as they come into this world knowing that a hiss means, "STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!" It is what their mamas and their siblings use. I like to think that you get street cred for knowing the lingo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CuteBabyBiscuit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If ignoring the behavior and rewarding any good behavior has worked with her for other situations, then it likely will work for this one. However, I don't know if you are trying work when at the desk and can tolerate the disruption. She sounds like she is trying to get your attention, so maybe a play session right before you plan on sitting at the desk might be helpful.

If your previous approach to training is a problem, and the play sessions don't help, you can always pick her up, say a firm 'No' or hiss in her face (pick one and stick with it, and then put her in a time-out for a minute or two (no longer as cats tend to forget why they were put there if left too long, and repeat, repeat, repeat.

You can let it go and hope it is just a phase, but why not try to nip it in the bud instead?
Yeah I think I’ll start with what I’ve been doing and then if it doesnt work I’ll try other options. But thank you! Def would rather nip it in the bud for sure.

CuteBabyBiscuit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Regardless of what others may say, I've found that time-outs DO work for cats, but ONLY when, as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner says, they are no more than a minute or two. And I've also found that hissing is highly effective, as they come into this world knowing that a hiss means, "STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!" It is what their mamas and their siblings use. I like to think that you get street cred for knowing the lingo.
Thank you and yeah I’ve found those short time outs do wonders to calm the initial overstimulation. Hissing doesnt work for my lil lady but I found the firm NO gets through to her. Hissing seemed to make her more riled lol.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my cats get extra wiley/naughty when I'm working from home, they get closed out of the office. I know that not everyone has a spare room, but separating them from you somehow to calm down for a short time might help. They get bored and want to burn energy, but sometimes when you're on a Zoom call it isn't the right time. 😄

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found the firm NO gets through to her. Hissing seemed to make her more riled lol.
LOL, yep, every cat is different! If the firm NO works for both of you, by all means, use that! The only hard and fast rule when dealing with cat issues is that there are no hard and fast rules when dealing with cat issues. No, that's a lie. "Water bottles DO NOT WORK" is one, as is "DO NOT DECLAW, it causes far more problems than it cures." But generally speaking, that's correct.

CuteBabyBiscuit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL, yep, every cat is different! If the firm NO works for both of you, by all means, use that! The only hard and fast rule when dealing with cat issues is that there are no hard and fast rules when dealing with cat issues. No, that's a lie. "Water bottles DO NOT WORK" is one, as is "DO NOT DECLAW, it causes far more problems than it cures." But generally speaking, that's correct.
Definitely agree with the waterbottle and declawing statement. I found too that walking away from her and leaving her in my room for a few minutes when she did something i didn’t like has started to work too. She’s so smart and sweet. Even just now she nipped at me after laying on my chest and the bite was nothing. just teeth pressing to skin, no pain. She’s learning. So proud of her. I also got to remember she’s still a kitten so the crazy is still in there lol

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep. Using my trusty cat age calculator, mentally, she's about 10 years old, so her craziness is built in. They aren't actually fully adults until they are about 2 years old.

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, they ARE cats, after all!
You‘re right, you’re right. Is it bad that my black cat poops in the tub and beside the litter box and I praise her and clean it up because she was constipated for so long that now I’m just happy she can poop and don’t car3 where? She only goes in those two places, and she makes sure to puke in the tub too for easy clean up.

catlady1979

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You‘re right, you’re right. Is it bad that my black cat poops in the tub and beside the litter box and I praise her and clean it up because she was constipated for so long that now I’m just happy she can poop and don’t car3 where? She only goes in those two places, and she makes sure to puke in the tub too for easy clean up.
It's not bad. My kitten is about 16 weeks. I initially had a litter box in my downstairs shower I don't use and as long as she was going mostly in the box I didn't care. I praised her every time I saw her IN the box though. I took it away and put two more boxes in the basement. She has only once peed in that shower since I moved the box out. And she's not pooped outside a box. To be fair, I have 6 litter boxes total so she has options. I wish my cats would puke not on the rug or carpet. Lol

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I had a dollar for every time I stepped on a hairball in the middle of my pathway over 16 years...OH, I would be a rich woman today! You have no clue how lucky you are, and how considerate she is!