How do I move on after putting my fur baby to sleep?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I'm going to respond with a little feeling that I have posted here many times before.

Every cat leaves a hole in your heart exactly the shape of that cat. No other cat can completely fill it, but in making its own place in your heart, it will help make the previous hole hurt less.

It sounds to me like you're more than ready to help another kitty. If you walked into our shelter and didn't walk out with a new love, I would feel I hadn't helped you to the best of my ability. You can never exactly replace the cat you lost, but a new one can bring you new joy and love, new experiences, new playthings, new sleeping spots, new tummy-rub needs, etc.
Welp, I couldn't ever say it better than this. I agree 100% There's no reason to mourn more than you have to.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

When you meet the right kitty, you will know.

A little over 13 years ago, I had a very special kitty who I had to have PTS when he developed an inoperable brain tumor. I had had him for 14 years, and I loved him with all my heart & soul.
I was devestated when I had to have him put down, and I didn't think I'd ever find another "special" kitty. I had 4 other cats at the time and I loved them too, but Foxy was my very special kitty and I was heart broken. I didn't even want to love another cat in that way again. But then Damian came along, and I fell in love all over again.

I only had him for 2 years, but I loved him in that special way, too. He suddenly died one night, w/o any warning. The vet thought he had had a stroke, but couldn't be sure w/o doing an autopsy. I refused the autopsy due to finances, and also b/c doing the autopsy wouldn't bring him back. I swore to myself that I would NEVER love any cat in that way again, b/c it hurt too much when they died.

Then one day while I was at work, a co-worker showed me a newpaper ad from the local humane society, in which they were advertsing the "pet of the week" - my Maverick. I told the girl I wasn't interested and had no desire in adopting another cat, but she insisted I at least go and take a look at him (mainly b/c he resembled Foxy). I eventually relented, and took a trip to the shelter to inquire about Maverick: as soon as I held him in my arms, I knew that I was in love all over again.
I have never regretted adopting Maverick.

Last week, I had to take Maverick in to the vet b/c he was leaking urine, and while he was there, I had the vet do a senior panel on him b/c he is getting old. It turns out he has something wrong with his liver which could be fatal (more testing has to be done to determine exactly what's wrong with his liver) and I'm having to face possibly losing my very special kitty again.
I have 9 other cats, but I know I'll be devestated when I lose Maverick. But I also know that in time, I'll be able to remember him with joy & laughter, and w/o tears. It will be a long time coming b/c Maverick is one special kitty and I love him fiercely, but I believe that another very special kitty will come along some day, too. That's not to say that any cat will ever replace Maverick, or Foxy, or Damian, but there will indeed be another very special cat that will help erase the pain of losing the kitty you love so dearly now.

I think that you are ready to find another special love, and I also think that Katie is watching you right now from the Rainbow Bridge - and she's saying, "Please give all your love to some other lucky kitty, Meowmy. I still love you and miss you, but I'm doing all right. I want you to be happy again, and I want you to share that love."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyber cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I took everyone’s advice and decided to start looking for a fur baby, well I have good new…. My search begun and ended the same day.

I thought I would look on a website called kijiji.ca, my sister had told me about it. Kijiji is your local free classifieds site, I went to the Pets category and to Cats, Kittens for sale and that is when I saw her, the ad said free kittens to a good home. I went yesterday to see the kittens and fell in love with the black and white female kitten she is 7 weeks old and her mom is a Tuxedo cat and this little one has the same markings. Her mom is beautiful.

I have named my new fur baby Noel, that means Christmas in French. By the time she is ready to come home to me it will be close to Christmas. I am so excited, and so thankful that I got some feed back from everyone.

Here is the picture I saw of her on the website.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderul news! I'm very happy for you. You deserve the happy feelings and anticipation, no doubt.

Congratulations!

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is very cute! I'm so glad you decided to go out to find a kitty. I hope you and Noel are very happy together after she comes home to live with you!

megra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cyber Cat

I have named my new fur baby Noel, that means Christmas in French.
In English too. Don't you know the sixteenth century carol, The First Noel?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
This is wonderful news. Now you have a couple of weeks to kitten proof the house.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Noel is lovely
btw, one of my brothers was named Noel! his name was Noel Michael [Christmas Messenger] & his birthday was january 15.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Melissa, I am so happy to read that you are getting Noel.
I know Katie will always be such a big part of your heart and know that you love her so much, but Im sure Noel will help you in finding love for a kitty again. She is so precious

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you decided to adopt another kitty, and that you found one so soon!
She's just adorable, and you chose the perfect name.
Congrats!

knottygirlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Noel is such a beautiful kitty! I have always had a special place in my heart for black and white kitties! I had Cheeky for 13 years before she had a stroke and crossed the bridge. My grief was almost unbearable at times and Rick and I decided no more pets. It was just too painful. But within a month I was missing that special feeling of a furry friend greeting you afterwork or just wanting to spend time with you. Cheeky left us in July and by October I knew it was time. Rick and I dicussed it and I started to look. I started with the SPCA but they wanted $250.00 for a kitten. (part of it was refundable after I proved I had the pet spayed or neutered) In any case, i decided to look around a little more. A lady at work said she had kittens so i thought I would take a look. That was when I found Shadow. I actually consider her our very first "rescued" kitty. What the lady at work did not tell me at first was that her mother cat had a litter of her own. Then her father found a litter in their barn that thad lost their mother to a Fischer attack, so he brought the kittens to the house, hoping the other could take care of them. She did, although this gave her 9 kittens to look after. Shadow was from the barn cat lot. Then another litter of abandoned kittens was also brought to the mother cat, so now she had 11 to take care of. All of the kittens were born around the same time, but were of very different sizes. At 12 weeks, shadow would sit in the palm of our hands, and she was one of the bigger kittens! She sneezed alot and was digging at her ears constantly. I was leary of bringing a sick kitten home, but it felt "right" so I did. I got the first available appointment at the Vet and she got immediate treatment for ear mites and an upper respitory infection and got bigger and stronger quickly. she is still undersized, but she is healthy and definitely daddy's girl! (Rick only says she's mine when she has gotten into mischief)

I still miss Cheeky and think of her often. That will never change but in time we were ready to love another kitty. It is now your time to get to know and enjoy Noel! Have fun "kitten proofing" your house, shopping for toys and all the other goodies for the new baby!

Lori, Rick, Shadow and Squirt

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Noel is adorable!
Congratulations on your new baby!