How Do I Know When My Cat Is Going To Give Birth

serenity_is_the_best

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well my cat belly is big and there is a little bit of milk coming out. and she is always luking her privet. and she is sleeping a lot and she is not eating a lot,and she keeps going in my closet but i don't want her in there bc i dont want my cloth to smell and i really dont know how long he has been pregnant. and she let us rub her belly and she will rule on her back a lot??? so when do u think she is going to give birth and plz answer me back asp!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

serenity_is_the_best

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i need help with my cat she has been acting different and rolls around on her back a lot and there is a little bit of milk coming out of her nipples and she has been hiding in my closet but i take her out of the pleas help me find out when she will go in laybor and if she is trying to nest in my closet

serenity_is_the_best

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i need help with my cat she has been acting different and rolls around on her back a lot and there is a little bit of milk coming out of her nipples and she has been hiding in my closet but i take her out of the pleas help me find out when she will go in laybor and if she is trying to nest in my closet
WIN_20180225_024048.JPG

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You stated she was mated around Christmas time in another post? Depending when it is very close. In less than a week I would say. She's not too big, I will say three kittens. Right now she needs to feel safe and calm. If she wants to nest in your closet, I would fix her a place in there. Keep small children away from her. Put your hand lightly on her abdomen, if you feel tightening and relaxing, she is in labor. Look for her licking a lot down there, and any kind of discharge. Ask any questions you want, we are here to help!
Beautiful little Calico, my favorite! Give her a kiss from me!
PS it should not smell in the closet unless she goes the bathroom in there, give her a litter box close by.

Last edited:

serenity_is_the_best

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You stated she was mated around Christmas time in another post? Depending when it is very close. In less than a week I would say. She's not too big, I will say three kittens. Right now she needs to feel safe and calm. If she wants to nest in your closet, I would fix her a place in there. Keep small children away from her. Put your hand lightly on her abdomen, if you feel tightening and relaxing, she is in labor. Look for her licking a lot down there, and any kind of discharge. Ask any questions you want, we are here to help!
Beautiful little Calico, my favorite! Give her a kiss from me!
PS it should not smell in the closet unless she goes the bathroom in there, give her a litter box close by.
ok thank u very much and i have more questions for u, i have a boy cat to in the house to and what should i do with him and i will end more pics of her to keep u updated

serenity_is_the_best

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok thank u very much and i have more questions for u, i have a boy cat to in the house to and what should i do with him and i will end more pics of her to keep u updated, and how long should i keep the babies for and how do i know when she goes in to labor
WIN_20180225_111701.JPG
WIN_20180225_111628.JPG

steph1331

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is the male cat neutered? At minimum I would suggest keeping them separated until the kittens are older. If he isn't nuetered, then I highly recommend you do that asap as female cats can get pregnant again shortly after giving birth.

Also you have a very pretty cat ^^wish you luck that she has her kittens soon and with little issues!

serenity_is_the_best

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is the male cat neutered? At minimum I would suggest keeping them separated until the kittens are older. If he isn't nuetered, then I highly recommend you do that asap as female cats can get pregnant again shortly after giving birth.

Also you have a very pretty cat ^^wish you luck that she has her kittens soon and with little issues!
no the boy is not neutered and they are both outside cat the boy still go's outside and the girl but she has not been wanting to go out so we leaver in. we bought the girl cat in when it started to snow. she has been on are street for 4 years. she did not let us touch her be for and she cuddles a lot and she rolls alot

serenity_is_the_best

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
here is another pic and i have a box for her but she in nit interested in it
WIN_20180225_115710.JPG

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, you need to neuter your boy. Do this now.

Bring your female cat inside and do not let her outside again until the kittens have weaned. Mom will need to be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old. The kittens stay with you and with mom until they are 10-12 weeks old. They should not go outside.

serenity_is_the_best

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, you need to neuter your boy. Do this now.

Bring your female cat inside and do not let her outside again until the kittens have weaned. Mom will need to be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old. The kittens stay with you and with mom until they are 10-12 weeks old. They should not go outside.
ok tank u so much and i will not let her back outside and can u plz tell me more about this because this is are first pregnant cat

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she's producing milk, then labor is usually imminent (likely today or tomorrow). Licking genitals is another sign labor is near too. She should soon expel a small amount of liquid, although it can be possible to miss this step as they typically clean up after themselves immediately. Temperature is a great indicator if she's in the first stage of labor, however I personally monitor behavior instead, because taking their temperature can be a stressful experience. Once she starts contractions, a baby should be born very shortly after.

Keep an eye on her as she gives birth. Some cats like to have their owners around, and will solicit attention more than usual, others like to have their space. Be careful not to push her boundaries, you don't want to interrupt or distract her especially when she's going through contractions. It's important to be present in case mom needs help. Contractions typically last 30 minutes (or less) between babies. There can be a much longer waiting time between kittens, which is safe as long as she's not contracting. If she's contracting for longer than 30 minutes, it may be stuck and you should contact a vet. I've heard of contractions lasting up to an hour, but this is pretty unusual and I would have a vet ready while monitoring. Additionally, you should watch her to make sure a placenta comes out with each baby. If one does not, she needs to go to the vet.

Best wishes.

serenity_is_the_best

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she's producing milk, then labor is usually imminent (likely today or tomorrow). Licking genitals is another sign labor is near too. She should soon expel a small amount of liquid, although it can be possible to miss this step as they typically clean up after themselves immediately. Temperature is a great indicator if she's in the first stage of labor, however I personally monitor behavior instead, because taking their temperature can be a stressful experience. Once she starts contractions, a baby should be born very shortly after.

Keep an eye on her as she gives birth. Some cats like to have their owners around, and will solicit attention more than usual, others like to have their space. Be careful not to push her boundaries, you don't want to interrupt or distract her especially when she's going through contractions. It's important to be present in case mom needs help. Contractions typically last 30 minutes (or less) between babies. There can be a much longer waiting time between kittens, which is safe as long as she's not contracting. If she's contracting for longer than 30 minutes, it may be stuck and you should contact a vet. I've heard of contractions lasting up to an hour, but this is pretty unusual and I would have a vet ready while monitoring. Additionally, you should watch her to make sure a placenta comes out with each baby. If one does not, she needs to go to the vet.

Best wishes.
she has been like that for 3 days and when do u think she will go in to labor??

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My guess is today or tomorrow, although it's possible it could be a few more days. Typically milk is a good indicator that labor is imminent, so I'd be surprised if she was producing milk for a week before birth, but it's possible.

serenity_is_the_best

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok tx i neveries bc this is the 2 animal that we had that is pregnant the 1 animal we had that was pregnant was a crayfish and now a cat