How do I know if my cat's had her kittens?

Milly & Kits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel like I've totally failed my cat today. We were convinced she was pregnant, went missing 60+ days ago and came back and started getting fat. I was checking her nipples and all the signs led to pregnant. I kept her in yesterday but she got out while I was at work and didn't come home until this morning - and no longer fat, Her belly is saggy, protruding nipples still, but very very very snuggly and won't leave me. I tried to get her to lead me to her kittens, and even played kitten sounds but she just meowed at me and stayed at my feet. We live next to, essentially, a forest.

Shes been cleaning herself and vulva, moewing all day, but making no attempt to 'go find' kittens. Could she still be waiting to have them? Or did it not work out well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Milly & Kits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd also like to add we live 5 hours away from any vet! So that's not really an option for us unfortunately

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my, it’s difficult to say what has happened. Is it possible that she miscarried?

Has she had a litter before? How old is she?

If nothing further happens, I suggest getting her spayed soon. Do keep us posted though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Milly & Kits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called the vet this morning, they didn't offer that as a suggestion, so I didn't think to ask! I did ask if maybe she had a phantom pregnancy but they didn't seem to think so.

For all thew reading I've done, she's doing ALL the pre-labour bits, panting, meowing at me, cleaning herself and vulva, but it's her saggy belly that's got me concerned and I can't feel anything inside. She's also been fighting with our 2 big dogs, which she's never done before.

This was/is her first ever litter and she's just over a year old. We're keeping her housebound for a few days (if there are kittens outside, as awful as it sounds, they won't have survived the cold last night or the today - she's had no interest in going out to find them if they are out there, and she's the most important thing), and will keep an eye on her!

Perhaps I'm worrying over nothing and we're still yet to have them?

We will 100% be getting her spayed, for a year we've had no issues with her and other cats, but I think she got grumpy with me that I went away for a week and left her behind! lol. She has that kind of personality.