How do I keep bugs and slugs out of cat food?

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed both wet and dry. The ferals only come to eat at night into the wee hours of the morning. I estimate 5-6 ferals come to eat, then leave. I have a roach/water bug problem, but only when it's above 50F. Slugs tend to come out when the ground is wet after it rains and into the bowls. Any ideas what I can do to keep these pests out of the outside cat food? Thought about raising the food off the ground with metal stands, but they'll probably just crawl right up the metal stand into the food. I live in a row home (houses connected on both sides). Now I have a neighbor that is complaining about the bugs... tonight I was looking out the window and just by chance I caught her walking onto my property turning one of the wet food bowls over (upside down) onto the ground. I was furious.

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Placing a loose lid on top will at least save it until the first cat eats.

U can also try to place the bowl on a plate. On the plate, put a few of the dry stuff. This way the slugs will be eating off the plate first, leaving the bowl contents safe .. until there are stoo many slugs that is.

There are always gonna be people who disagree with u feeding strays and get rid of your bowls or start worse trouble. We have had to hide the bowls in bushes or other spots a lot of times. Best to do that rather than confront them, as malicious people will even go so far as to poison the cats if u end up arguing.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed both wet and dry. The ferals only come to eat at night into the wee hours of the morning. I estimate 5-6 ferals come to eat, then leave. I have a roach/water bug problem, but only when it's above 50F. Slugs tend to come out when the ground is wet after it rains and into the bowls. Any ideas what I can do to keep these pests out of the outside cat food? Thought about raising the food off the ground with metal stands, but they'll probably just crawl right up the metal stand into the food. I live in a row home (houses connected on both sides). Now I have a neighbor that is complaining about the bugs... tonight I was looking out the window and just by chance I caught her walking onto my property turning one of the wet food bowls over (upside down) onto the ground. I was furious.
Are you awake at that time of the morning? If so, then you need to wait until they show up and feed them then and then remove then clean the bowls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
U can also try to place the bowl on a plate. On the plate, put a few of the dry stuff. This way the slugs will be eating off the plate first, leaving the bowl contents safe .. until there are too many slugs that is.

There are always gonna be people who disagree with u feeding strays and get rid of your bowls or start worse trouble. We have had to hide the bowls in bushes or other spots a lot of times. Best to do that rather than confront them, as malicious people will even go so far as to poison the cats if u end up arguing.
I always throw a few pieces of food on the ground to distract from the main bowls. Works only for about 1 hour or so.
The black oriental cockroaches are a bigger problem than the slugs.

I'm waiting for the cold weather so I can relax for a few months! It' still way too warm in PA. It's Nov and suppose to be 77F today and tomorrow... what the? :confused2: At least there are no more flies out there.

I guess I'll have to get 2 cameras for the front porch. The neighbor lady is usually okay, but after I caught her screwing with the bowls I couldn't believe it... wanted to rage on her, but I didn't. I think she's done this before because I've found full and semi-full bowls turned over in the past, but always thought one of the cats did it. People need to stop sweating the small stuff and get a freakin' life.

I don't think it was her, but I'm pretty sure someone poisoned my friendly 'Whiskers' 2 years ago... he was a tough loss. Can't take anymore cats into the house now, 4 is my limit... all were rescues off the street.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you awake at that time of the morning? If so, then you need to wait until they show up and feed them then and then remove then clean the bowls.
The shadow ferals are very inconsistent and come at different times during the night. I'd be waiting all night. The bowls are styrofoam, I do not re-use them.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can slugs swim? If not, place the bowls in a tray and fill the tray with an inch or so of water. The moat will keep the slugs and most bugs out of the bowls.
That's a good idea... Thanks!

dianee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree. I go out there about 5:30 am and do it, and the cats finish eating before daylight. I pick up the dishes then.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
you set the feeding time
No I don't, the local activity sets it. I live in an urban area. When things quiet down, they come. Ferals only come after sunset and during the wee hours.

daisyrose79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had no idea slugs ate cat food until a couple nights ago! I picked up a bowl from the ground and one stuck to my hand 🤢

I saw a couple more wrapped around individual pieces of cat food too. YUCK!
you can always try sprinkling Diatomaceous earth around the feeding area. Let me know if you found anything that works!

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Snails scream when i peel them away from bowls... at least i think its a scream..... doesnt sound like just the peeling sound lol

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had no idea slugs ate cat food until a couple nights ago! I picked up a bowl from the ground and one stuck to my hand 🤢

I saw a couple more wrapped around individual pieces of cat food too. YUCK!
you can always try sprinkling Diatomaceous earth around the feeding area. Let me know if you found anything that works!
There are 3x the amount of them out there after it rains. Their slime does not come off your fingers easily either. Washing it off doesn't do much, you have to wipe it off. I wear gloves when I collect them from around the bowls.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the water filled trays used as moat for the food dishes don't entirely work, add some drops of dish detergent to the moat water. It will not likely be enough to make the cats sick, but should kill the slugs and most bugs. These trays do not have to be a lot bigger than the dishes themselves, just enough to provide a soapy water surface around the dish base - that way the cats won't be as inclined to try to drink the water.

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No need to go killing them when they r just trying to eat