How do I help my cats like each-other?

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, almost 8 months ago we got a new kitten, I wanted to introduce them slowly as to make sure it would go smoothly. But, he cried almost everyday even if he was in the largest room in the house if he was left alone for even a second, he couldn't even sleep properly. We decided to leave the door open for him to roam around (under our watch, of course) I have 2 other cats, and they were 4 and 3 years old by the time we got him. We separated their dry food, water, litter box and sleeping place so we could make sure the kitten got adjusted well enough. I let him stay in my room and sleep there, I made sure he got all his necessities and played with him. Anyway, he roamed around almost everyday. They never physically hurt him and hissed whenever he did something they were angry by, which he'd walk away from, I'd always be there with them, though. It developed into a better relationship slowly. Even if it's better, it's still not a decent one. They hiss at him almost everyday and its been 7 months, it's never truly aggressive, it's the "back away from me" type of hiss, he always runs to them and plays with them even if they make other noises which mean they are obviously uncomfortable and don't want to be with him. I always remove them whenever they start fighting, they never have injured each other but I'm worried it might happen. They can sit in the same room, use the same litter, etc. They just don't get along. I was thinking on reintroducing but I don't think that'd help whatsoever. I try my best to feed them treats whenever they treat each-other nicely, but I've started school and my sleep schedule isn't great either, so I can't even do it properly. I really wanna make sure they get along, since the baby kitten would probably feel lonely seeing everyone else get along except him. I never tried reintroducing because even now, when he's left alone for a second he cries like crazy. If I try anything like that, it'll cause more stress for the baby kitten. I want to satisfy everyone in this situation. I know I should've attempted something in the beginning, but I was being so stupid that I listened to my parents' pressuring when I knew I could've done better. What should I do?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
With Jasper and Mia, I did a few things that I found really helped.

I played with them together with a feather toy and a laser. I think when they see each other play it helps them to learn the other in a non-aggressive way. I also bought a bunch of cat furniture. We have several beds, a bunch of toys, one large cat tree, one medium one and one small, and a cat box condo thing the cats can go inside, so the cats are never competing for any space in the house, which I think is what causes a lot of issues in multi-cat homes. I don't know that cats understand the 'treat reward' concept honestly but I'm not super sure there.

I think part of the problem is the separation. With most of my kittens, I've kept then in a pen or crate when they were super small (as in to small to be let loose on their own) this allowed the cats to be able to pass and repass and adjust to smells.

You could try rubbing the kitten down in a towel or something and giving it to your other cats so that they can smell him, or feeding them on opposite ends of a door so that they associate each others smells with something good (yummy food!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With Jasper and Mia, I did a few things that I found really helped.

I played with them together with a feather toy and a laser. I think when they see each other play it helps them to learn the other in a non-aggressive way. I also bought a bunch of cat furniture. We have several beds, a bunch of toys, one large cat tree, one medium one and one small, and a cat box condo thing the cats can go inside, so the cats are never competing for any space in the house, which I think is what causes a lot of issues in multi-cat homes. I don't know that cats understand the 'treat reward' concept honestly but I'm not super sure there.

I think part of the problem is the separation. With most of my kittens, I've kept then in a pen or crate when they were super small (as in to small to be let loose on their own) this allowed the cats to be able to pass and repass and adjust to smells.

You could try rubbing the kitten down in a towel or something and giving it to your other cats so that they can smell him, or feeding them on opposite ends of a door so that they associate each others smells with something good (yummy food!)
Thank you so much! The house is big, but they both love staying in my room and the same places so that might be why, I'll try all of the things you've suggested!