How do I harness my cat?

abbidixon98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was 11 no. When I got her and would take walks w her dog. Now it is just us..and I know she brings in animals for me but I feel the birds suffer too much. The rodents I feel for as well but they seem to die after the chase faster than the birds. Anyways, how do I put the harness on her head without hurting her neck? I think its big enough as I measured both cat and harness.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you speaking of a harness, so you can train her to walk on a harness, or are you referring to a collar, so that she can wear a bell to warn the small animals? 

If you are thinking collar, one of the best kinds is the Beastie Band.  It is made of soft foam with a painted design on one side.  It hitches with Velcro so you can fit it to any cat's neck size and cut off the extra  Also, it stretches to if they get caught on anything, it will pull off.  They are available in many designs and from many sources.  Here is a link to just one source:

http://www.thefind.com/pets/info-beastie-band-cat-collar

If you are speaking of a harness to walk your cat, the various parts should be adjustable and it's hard to give directions when we can't see the harness style, but yes, it should fit over her head without being too tight.  The most important thing about a harness is that it has side straps that prevent the cat from pulling out of it by backing up.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbidixon98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies!! I met a nice lady today at the pet store, and she gave some great advice on the subject!! She said you put her head in by gently holding her head in your hand, tucking the ears and put it in that way for a harness. The harness I have at home was purchased as a kitten and too small. I think I will try the Beastie as well as stretch and quick release first. I tried both at the pet store and weren't too expensive. The harnesses will come later.

littlewolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Eli used a small dog harness from Poundland lol

I make the loop for his head as marge as possible so I dont have to squish his poor eara too much but guide his face in there, them tighten the straps behind his front legs. I think you ahould be able to just about fit one or two fingers under the bands. I used the rule that applie to tying a horses girth or throatlatch.

abbidixon98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well had another scare again. She left around ten am yesterday and didn't come home till I went looking for her this 3am. Of course she was up near the road..she's inside. I got paid today so will get some type of collar and harness. Anyone know how long to walk her for? She used to walk with the dog I had a while back..also she doesn't like her new litter..should I toss it out or mix with stuff I know she likes? Thanks for the advice!!

littlewolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Id try and establish what makes the new litter unfavorable. If its the smell or simply change you can try gradually integrating more of the new litter. Some cats might not like a litter befause it feels uncomfortable underfoot.

I walk Eli for 20 minutes to a half hour at a time, because thats about as much traffic noise and dogs harassing him as he can take. Or I bring his carrier with him on hour to 2 hour long adventures to Clapham Common, where he can just go back to the carrier for a few minutes for rest and come back out when he feels like exploring again.

Very rarely I get scares like that because im so used to Eli being at the door like clockwork or coming when I meow.

Do you have set mealtimes? Thats a good incentive for most cats not to break curfew.

Also, does your cat respond to her name and come to you? Maybe try calling your cat from different distances and rewarding with food/praise. Because I often meow to get his attention, or make a noise with my mouth when doing trick training my cat knows that a vocal from me means 'pay attention!' Or 'come here!'. Get your cat into the routine of being attentive to you and they should come from several hundred meters away.

abbidixon98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well she got out today. She was driving us both nuts, tho I got a small thing of litter she likes and mixed it in. She was really depressed first few days. She got more aggressive too. Hardly and head butting too..she's inside napping ad the mean neighbor cat was out so I just shut the window..I don't have a vehicle and live in a semi strict apartment so can't do much. I couldn't take her sad cries and attacking me when in bed. She has more toys and just got more food lol! Thanks for the tip on how far to walk her and feeding at regular times. She does come to her name usually inside and is learning stay and wait. She's generally a good girl. Almost got the harness on. Will try to imprison her again this fall or winter..shed love walks and went on a walk without the harness with me and tries to sometimes even when she can go out on her own lol! I know its bad to let her out..but an ways besides that she's OK. Her pee is inconsistent. Sometimes tiny other times a ton. She eats OK I guess. Trying to get her down to one can and not an extra half..she's a boredom eater too and sponges off mommies moods..