How do I get the cat to sleep in the cat bed?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I'm glad you know that you can't make a cat do anything
It's cute that your main concern is that he'll get put out when other people sit on his chairs
The sign of a true cat person!!!

One of ours LOVES her cat bed - we put it at the spot where she loves sleeping most - on the ground at the top of the stairs, and she always sleeps there. One of the others prefers the back of the couch, which now has a blanket over it to protect the couch from her fur, and the other just sleeps wherever as long as she's on something - a mat, piece of cardboard, plastic bag. whatever, just as long as she isn't lying on JUST carpet...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I own 3 cat beds. One snuggler type I've seen the cats each in once. One round all the way around one that two sleep in nightly. One that only gets slept in when the sun's shining on it. They much prefer to sleep in the nylon cubes with a piece of fleece in there. Or on top of the 4' homemade cat platform with a piece of fleece on it. They really like the back of the couch. Or a towel on the counter. Or, a cardboard box!
They usually sleep exactly where I don't want cat hair.

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you two have a good relationship, something that smells like you (pjs, etc) in the bed might make your cat like it. Mine goes for old, smelly socks, so that's what I get her. When I've been out for the day in my old pair of sneakers, I ask Chili if she wants them.. haha.. you should see her face, it's like heaven.

Mine will basically sleep anywhere they feel like. Box lids or anything similiar, such as drawers, shelves, tops of kitty trees, crates, etc are popular. The middle of the floor at night on top of a carpet they blend into is also a favorite, especially when mommy is dizzy and nausious and half-blind. They enjoy tripping me, I swear it...

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have noticed that mine like the bed,
1) during winter, i think summer is to hot for them.
2) up high, like in a chair , or table,
i have one in the chair next to me, but once it got warm,it was pushed off,
and at the end of my computer desk, but once again once summer got here, it has not been used.,

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't bothered wasting my money buying a cat bed. Bijou and Mika (both) will just paw the covers down on our bed and crawl under for their naps. I make our bed every morning before I leave for work and every night the covers are pawed down and a little tunnel is set up for sleeping.

mopar92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We put a cat bed in the strange place that the cat would sleep, and he quickly adapted to it. I think it is the place as much as the bed. If you put it in the living room... they'll avoid it like the plague! That's my opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
noludoru;1831295 said:
If you two have a good relationship, something that smells like you (pjs, etc) in the bed might make your cat like it. Mine goes for old, smelly socks, so that's what I get her. When I've been out for the day in my old pair of sneakers, I ask Chili if she wants them.. haha.. you should see her face, it's like heaven.

Funny you should say that; he has taken to dragging an old bed sock of mine around with him..........