How do I get rid of these debt collectors?!

baby-freckles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have a Samsung handset (for your cell phone) they can restrict who calls you. Its in the settings somewhere (I know because I used to have a Samsung) All you do is just add everyone in your phonebook into your 'restricted' list and anyone else who calls you will get either a number error or it will sound like the number has been disconnected!

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have a similar situation.

Dh's brother put our phone number down as a contact on several loans. Apparently they could/would not pay them. I can't tell you how many times we've had phone calls from collectors looking for dh's brother. And it's REALLY annoying. I'd love to say something to him (dh never did). They don't live anywhere near us, we never see them anyhow. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times they've been out here, we've lived in this area 16 YEARS- but that's another story in itself. So I don't want to tick them off, so we've never said anything to them about the collection calls.

Lately we've been getting calls from this company that collects really old debts. I've just been ignoring the calls b/c I never got any kind of letter in the mail saying they were going to call us. I'm figuring they're probably looking for dh's brother (again).

My main concern about all this is MY (and dh's) credit history. We've never been late on anything. And I'm trying to pay for school with Stafford loans, and I would be MAD if something dh's brother did messed up MY education (which I intend on finishing)

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We contacted our State's Attorney General and filed a complaint- it worked wonders. I seriously doubt the police can do anything about it, but the Attorney General can.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would probably make a police report (just to be able to say you did it) they may be able to contact the lady and make her stop. The problem I had with my DH's cousin is he put my phone number down as the contact number because he didn't have a phone. My voicemail would fill up and when I would check it, it wouldn't even be for me! I finally just got sick of the voicemail problem and with Alltel you can get something called "Voice to Text" the people calling you that leave voicemails still leave them, but they show up as text messages which is considerably easier to check, that way I dont have to answer the phone to them, but I still get the message that was left just in case it wasn't really for him! Its so much easier to read the message than to have to listen to all the crud on voicemail and go through all the different prompts and stuff! Now I just get the messages as text messages, NEVER have to check my voicemail, and every word of what they say is written in the text message! It at least relieves some of the frustration that goes along with it!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work for a collection agency, So here is some advice Stop calling them, inform them in writeing that You are not this person and that if they contact you for any purposes related to this person from this time forward that you will be speeking to a lawyer

Put the person's name that they have been calling
Clearly state it is your phone number and that it is NOT hers
And You may want to quote some of the US Harrasment laws pretaining to harrasment on a collection basis, You may also want to have it witnessed by a certified individual like a Legal Aid or Police official.