How Do I Get My Scaredy Cat To Be More Confident?

Sammiches

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay to start it off, my cat wasn't always like this. During my first visit to her at the SPCA, she was practically jumping at me behind the glass door. She was pawing the door trying to get my attention(a complete stranger at the time), though when taken out she was a little shy. Took a second visit before she started being okay but like the first time, she was pawing at me to come get her. I decided then and there after that I didn't want to leave her in there any longer.

Fast forward almost a year later, the sight of any other human makes her hide under the couch or blanket for hours on end until the person leaves. This means no eating and no litter box usage whatsoever.

Normally this isn't that big of a problem for me but I do plan to take her outside sometimes. I tried today and she scratched the heck out of me so I decided to let her down and stayed outside with her. She spent the entire 10 minutes we were outside scratching at the door trying to get back in. This means basically I won't be able to take her out for a walk and experience new things.

Anyone got any solutions or ideas that may help her ease up to the outside world? I don't plan to let her go outside on her own, only when she has the harness on if it worries people that I'm trying to get my cat to go outside.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you have company you may want to have a food/water bowl and a litter box near where she hides. I have a litter box upstairs in my master bath. I also will put food/water bowl in the room if we have company staying the night. My Starbuck is scared of strangers. She hides from all company.

I have never tried to harness train my cats or done outdoor time with them. I think it really depends on whether or not it is something the cat would enjoy. I think it also depends on the back ground of the cat. I would never expect my Starbuck to enjoy outside time or want to learn to walk on a leash. She would be terrified because of her back ground. She was abandoned in the middle of winter at night out a car window. She has no desire to try to go outside. I would never force her to because I know she would be terified and it would stress her out way too much. I don't think this would ever be something she would enjoy.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One rule for scaredy cats or any cat for that matter is not to force them to do things they are fearful of unless it is absolutely necessary. So, if your cat doesn’t want to go outside, just keep her in. If she is afraid of people, be sure she has hiding places available to her when you have guests.

If she is not forced she may slowly have interest in new places or people, but maybe not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sammiches

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright thanks guys. I'll try to leave the door open and see if she'll eventually investigate the outside world and work from there. Not stressing a scaredy cat out, check.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm on my phone so copy/paste is challenging for me otherwise I'd grab my list, but there are a number of calming products that are not drugs but rather based on pheromones, things like valerian, mother cat milk 'chemicals' etc.
I'm not suggesting this will promote a transition outside but it hopefully will help her inside with visitors et al.
With no guarantee, you could do small things like bring in a clump of grass and soil, safe plant leaves, twigs, things from outside for her to smell. It will take time and may never happen but if you can help her be calmer, then maybe you can slowly and gently help her, with baby steps, learn the outdoors is ok.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a scaredy cat. I created a safe room (my room) where no one else in the house is allowed to go. Since I rent a room, this happened without planning to. So my boys know "go to bed" and that the room is safe. So when my niece & nephew come over they feel safe because they do not come in 'their' room. In the evening towards bedtime they will venture half way down the stairs and observe them from a safe distance. Once the kids are asleep they will go bravely down stairs.

I would start by locking her in your bedroom (with food & litter.) Try locking her in there for 2 hours with no visitors every day for a couple of weeks (you can be in there with her.) Then after she learns it is her safe place I would lock her in your room & have as many guests come over, even if just for 15 minutes. Then after she is calm with people coming over while she is in her room, then you can leave your bedroom door open a crack while a regular guest comes over. Be sure your guests ignore her if she comes out & they always stay away from your room. I would add that you start going in your room, closing the door, give her a treat & leave when a guest comes over. Eventually you can give her a treat & play with her outside your room (when she is comfortable coming out of your room when people are over.) I can now leave my bedroom door open all day long & my super wuss is OK with the little kids running around in front of the door because they know the room is 'safe' from the wee scary humans ;) I'm currently working on playing with them in the hallway/stairs in the evening... getting them to go a few inches further each week :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and for going outside? First get her used to a harness & leash inside. Then sit right outside your door, reading a book with her on the harness/leash. Let her sniff the doorway. If she knows everyday at the same time you sit outside she will eventually sniff the door, the sniff right outside the door. When she makes it to you, pet her a bit then keep reading.