How do I get my feral cat to use a litter box

Pudner1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

Since my feral cat got neutered two years ago he has become more and more tame and is spending a lot of time indoors on a cat bed.
My query is how do I get him to use a litter tray? He is an outdoor cat but I may have to move and want to take him with me and the options for keeping him oustide where I am going are limited

Any advice appreciated

Pudner1

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi

Since my feral cat got neutered two years ago he has become more and more tame and is spending a lot of time indoors on a cat bed.
My query is how do I get him to use a litter tray? He is an outdoor cat but I may have to move and want to take him with me and the options for keeping him oustide where I am going are limited

Any advice appreciated

Pudner1
Thank you for taking in this kitty and also planning to have him with you when you move :clapcat: It's good that you are training him to stay indoors and also it'll help when you move.

As he used to dong his business outside, you can try to see where he does his business and gather the leaves and soil and put some into his litterbox. And as the days go by, slowly transit him over to the litter you want him to use. Just have a good ratio of mixture like 30% soil/leaves 70% litter and slowly reduce and increase accordingly. It may take awhile and you have to observe how he's adjusting to the new litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pudner1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Tabbytom,

Thanks very much for replying on this - I appreciate it. By 'soil' do you mean 'faeces?.

I haven't purchased a litter tray yet or any litter yet. When you say transit him over would that mean keeping him inside when he wants to go to the toilet? Also he has his cat bed in the kitchen but the people I am living with would object to having a litter tray in there so could I put it outside the kitchen where I keep his cat food which is still inside? Sorry for all the questions.

Pudner1

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi Tabbytom,

Thanks very much for replying on this - I appreciate it. By 'soil' do you mean 'faeces?.

I haven't purchased a litter tray yet or any litter yet. When you say transit him over would that mean keeping him inside when he wants to go to the toilet? Also he has his cat bed in the kitchen but the people I am living with would object to having a litter tray in there so could I put it outside the kitchen where I keep his cat food which is still inside? Sorry for all the questions.

Pudner1
soil as in where he digs and do his business. Some of his feces will help too as it is familiar scent to him so that when he smells it, it'll encourage him to use the box.

When you get a litter box and litter, you need to transit him over as he'll not be used to the new litter but you can try. If not, that is when you need to mix some of the soil from outside where he is using and if the people don't mind the smell of poo, then you could use that too.

Have the litterbox where there is less human traffic and also away from where he eats and drink so that the food and drink won't be contaminated. If he's eating in the kitchen then it's ok.

You have to get him to get use to using the litterbox and also keep him strictly indoors when you move to the new place and never let him out.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I often use Dr. Elsey Litter Attract. It has special herbs in it that attract cats to the box. If he doesn't want to use the box or goes outside of the box, the other trick is to sop up any urine or feces and bury in the litter. With urine I bury the paper towel and with poop, I just bury the poop. Cats are attracted to their own scent.

Most cats catch on using a litter box very quickly.

Geri SSI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

Any advice appreciated

Pudner1
I just took in a free roaming cat that never used a litter box. I used Dr Elsey’s litter and ultra litter attract. It worked wonderful no problems.