How do I get my cat to not hide in my box spring?

jmb1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there again!

So, a few days ago, I adopted a shelter cat (his name is Morris, much cuteness there!), and so far, I have found him hiding in the box spring of my bed. Due to me being short, I had to ask my dad for help getting him out. After he's out, we put him in his 'room' where he stays for the rest of the evening until we sleep. This morning, I found him under the bed in my spare room, and proceeded to pull him out (due to the fact that this is a much smaller bed.) When I put him in his room, he jumped the small gate and ran underneath MY bed again. What can I do to stop this from happening?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm...  a quick fix would be to cover the under side of your box spring with an extra fitted sheet if you have one available.  A little awkward with having to remove your mattress and things; but it works and he can still hide under your bed that way.  Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmb1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far he hasn't gone back, but to be safe, I put blankets around the edges of the bed so he can't hide there. Time for a new hidey spot, Morris!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try making him something more suitable too.  Even from a cardbord box.  It may help redirect his attention.  I have a couple nylon cube shaped things my girls like.  Also one that is foam based and more like a bed.  They were not expensive things and we've gotten a lot of use out of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmb1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did make him some hidey houses out of boxes, the problem is though that he won't stay in his room, and I don't want him to be locked in there 24/7. I guess I'll just try something else, there's really not much I can do to make him more comfortable around me, because I work and can't stay with him all day. I'm almost positive though that once he's been here for a few weeks he'll be a bit calmer. He doesn't seem to want to go in the boxes, either, and I put the bed I got for him from the shelter in there...

Last edited: