How do I get my Bengal to stop caterwauling?

need sleep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Bengal mix. He is a beautiful 5 year old now. I know for sure he is half Bengal as his father is my friend's papered Bengal. Unfortunately a female DSH tabby adopted him and she wasn't fixed...oops. Although his father is spotted ours is marbled & has the most amazing coat. We have 2 other cats so he isn't lonely. We love Lance but he won't be quiet....unless he's asleep. He has a different howl for everything and won't stay indoors. I've had him since he was a baby and would never give him up. I would love a night of sleep where I'm not up at 3-4 a.m. to let him in, out, pet him, fill up his bowl to the level he wants it at, etc. I'm going insane....he sounds like a cat in heat. Playing does nothing, he loves to jump high & hunt. He hates strangers so he's quiet and hides when company is over. Other than that or sleeping he always has something to say very loudly I might add...even if it's through the window!! Any advice or am I stuck with this Bengal trait? He is neutered as I won't own a cat that isn't.

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The way I deal with my cat meowing all night long is I stick her in her own room, shut the door and go to my bedroom and stick in some earplugs and turn on some fans to block the noise lol. I don't feel bad for locking her away in another room at night because she's got her own food, water, litter box, cat trees and toys galore in that room, as well as another playmate so no matter how much she meows, I know she's just fine. You could also try some Feliway, see if that'll calm him down some and stop meowing so much.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We have a cat that started yowling incessantly when he went deaf, poor guy.  I have a Feliway diffuser in the room where he stays, and I got him a calming collar.  I couldn't believe the difference that made!  Really helped.  (www.calmingcollars.com)   He still starts in at 5:30 a.m. every morning for breakfast but I can live with that.  :-)  

I also go to bed with earplugs and a white noise machine, just in case.