How Do I Get My 9-week Old Kitten To Eat Solid Food?

catdad441

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, i just joined so i don't know much about this site. but i was wondering if any of you could help me out here:
my cat had a litter of two kittens a few months ago, they're 9 weeks old now.
one started eating solid food, and does so regularly now.

the other one refuses to even try it. i've tried giving her different types of kibble, wet food, even crushing the kibble and mixing it with kitten milk replacer.
she's not interested in any of it, though she did have about a mouthful when i tried putting it on her fur (she licked it off while cleaning, but still won't try it when its not on her fur)

i'm very concerned, as she's about a third the weight of her brother now (though about the same size). she seems hungry, and has eaten bits of newspaper and pages from a book. she seems more averse to the cat food if we push it on her.

does anyone have advice? has this happened with any kittens you've raised?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

When we're introducing shelter kittens to solid food, we mix KMR with canned pâté kitten food to form a slurry, which we serve lukewarm on a flat plate or saucer. We generally start with no more than half pâté, even just 1/3 for hard cases, then gradually reduce the amount of KMR over about 2 weeks. Some kittens are already eating solid food at four weeks, while others don't accept it until they're around 2 months old. We do leave out kitten kibble for them at all times, but always something specially formulated for young kittens, e.g., Royal Canin Baby Cat, to make sure they're getting the proper nutrients. Some show no interest in kibble, though.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might get some Gerber human infant food in turkey and see if she will eat that. Starting with a slurry and going from there is the way to go. Try several different brands and kinds, something should entice her. Try human food too, minced deli turkey or chicken. I always put a tiny bit on their lips to get them started. This is puzzling, she should be finding something she likes soon. Make sure she has plenty of KMR or something nutritious tp drink too while she is learning.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might make the slurry, then offer it to her mother and brother while she can see them eat it. Right now she probably doesn't consider non-mom food food. If she sees her mom and brother
eating it, she'll learn it's okay to eat.