How Do I Get a Scared Cat to Vet?

jannyred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

Just recently I took in a stray mom cat and her three kittens, Mom is very friendly and possibly the calmest cat I have ever had. The three kitties, however, are another story. One is coming around but the other two are afraid of me & my husband. They will let us get about a foot away from them but any further than that and they run. I have already had Momcat spayed and will be taking the one kitty who lets me pet him to be neutered very soon. My question is this: any suggestions as to how I can catch the two scaredy cats when it comes time to get them fixed? I would hate to tramautize them by grabbing them any way I can, but I can see no alternative. They are about 5 1/2 months old now and they will be coming of age soon (the two unfriendlys are a boy and a girl so I'm not taking any chances!) Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Janny...what about leaving out the carrier and seeing if they go in to explore it and then shut the door behind them. The other thing you can do is put out the open carrier and put their food closeby...gradually move their food closer to the carrier, eventually putting the food inside the carrier. When they come to eat...then shut the carrier door. Hopefully hissy will see this post, she would probably be an excellent person to respond to this question.

Katie

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Janny...what about leaving out the carrier and seeing if they go in to explore it and then shut the door behind them. The other thing you can do is put out the open carrier and put their food closeby...gradually move their food closer to the carrier, eventually putting the food inside the carrier. When they come to eat...then shut the carrier door. Hopefully hissy will see this post, she would probably be an excellent person to respond to this question.

Katie
I was going to suggest the same thing. Our last cat was an 8-year-old feral when we took him in. The only reason I managed to get him to a vet's was that I got him used to eating all his meals inside a carrier.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they are true feral kitties, borrow a humane cat trap and trap them inside the house. Take the entire trap to the vets office with you without letting them out into a carrier,and here is why.

You do not want them scared of the carrier and that first vet visit is scary. Using the trap allows them to be afraid of the trap and next time you have to go to the vet, you use the carrier-

Here is an article about the Dreaded Carrier

http://www.thecatsite.com/Cats/Cat_C..._Carriers.html