How do I deworm a kitten?

Ak423

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a stray kitten around 6 weeks old and I think he has worms. My vet can't see him until late next month, other places aren't accepting new clients due to covid or are too expensive. I'm looking for recommendations for dewormer safe for kittens that I can purchase in stores or online. If anyone can give advice or point me in the direction of where I may find answers, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The best thing you can do is wait until he is a little bit bigger because dewormers can be fatal to little kittens:)
If the worms are getting worse try to find a vet asap

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you seen the worms? Not saying that you are incorrect or that the kitten does not need to be wormed. In a kitten this young, especially a stray who might not be in the greatest health, it worries me to use an OTC wormer as many are basically insecticides. If you can see the worms, would the vet accept a pic and give you some advice/prescription from there?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can get pyrantel or fenbendazole, those would be safe, but don't use any other kind. In some countries you can easily get pyrantel at pharmacies (for humans). You can find the dosage on the Merck vet manual website.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ak423

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: I took the kitten to the vet, he did have intestinal parasites, but he's doing so much better now. He is vaccinated and has an appointment to be fixed and chipped soon. His name is Odin and he's the funniest cat I've ever had.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is awesome!

Keep us posted!

Last edited: