How do cats get on being indoor cats??

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. We had a beautiful orange feral in the area and the poor thing met his fate the same way, seems like cats just don't understand how dangerous roads are. 

Our two Bengals are kept indoors, they were both rescues and came with lots of baggage . The male, Makena, had been living outside and he hated being kept inside all the time. We struck a comprise and he walks and hikes with us on a leash daily (weather permitting.) Makena is very bold, adventurous and  outgoing - I am not sure he would ever really be happy inside all the time. He has become so accustomed to his harness and being out with us, that he really does not want to go out on his own anymore. It turned out that walking him was not just for his benefit. Taking a few minutes every day to just enjoy being outside and walking with Makena has become one of my favorite things - probably lowers my blood pressure!

Our other cat, Lilia, was kept indoors in a small room. Just being allowed to roam free in our house was at first overwhelming for her (had to introduce her to it slowly.) Lilia is terrified of being outside and we can't even put a harness on her to go to the vet.

Like other shave said, I think making sure that cats have a stimulating home environment is key. We have lots of toys that we rotate for them, several scratchers, several windows with deep sills to sit in and bird feeders outside. Makena and Lilia play together a lot, seems like two cats do better than just one.  We also do some interactive play or activity with them every day - they seem to appreciate even just a few minutes of having a toy tossed or chasing a string toy.

I did not always think this way. I was raised in farm country where keeping a cat indoors, or worse walking a cat, would have been laughed at. We had cats that lived outside and I bet none of them lived past 10 years. But living in an area with roads and fast traffic, seems best to keep them indoors. If we owned many acres in an area where their were no roads nearby and we needed rodent control in a barn, I might think differently.

Eric

tuxedoontheloos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss.

I think a lot of it depends on the cats and the area where you live. I have a friend who lives in downtown Toronto who lets her cats out (former strays who wouldn't be happy inside) and has never lost one to anything but old age. I wish I knew her secret.

Where I live there's a different set of dangers. Coyotes come right into the yard and it regularly goes to -30 C or lower in the winter. Luckily, Tucker shows no interest in going outside. I think he associates the door with the vet/nearly freezing the night he was abandonned.

I try to keep him entertained with different foraging toys. He's pawing food out of a shoebox as I type. He's got a mounted 2x4 he can scramble up and down as well, a rotating assortment of boxes to clomb on and in, and kitty TV to watch (aka the pheasant who likes to sit under the window).

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had cats for well over 20 years and all have been indoor cats with no problems. I have two at the moment. A siamese and a street cat. They Behave Like Litter mates. Both are male.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We used to have indoor/outdoor cats.  Over time, with the amount of "critters" (foxes, raccoons etc) in our backyard, and seeing a couple of cats being hurt/ killed by cars, these last 2 cats we've had have been mostly indoor cats.  The older of the two, Holly used to go out for extended periods of time.  After we lost Sneaky Pie (old age) all of a sudden the outdoors kind of scared her.  To the point where she goes out for maybe 5 minutes at most if we aren't out with her.  Sam has only been out a handful of times.  He's kind of skittish, and loud noises scare him.  

For the most part they really don't mind being in.  The yard backs up to woods, and I feed the birds.  So I have "critters" that they can watch.  Sometimes I'll put seed right by the back door and the cats LOVE watching birds that come right up to the back window.  I have a bay in my kitchen that they love sleeping on.  We also have a 6ft cat tower that they both love.  For the most part they have the run of the house.  I don't let them on the counters, and I try to not let them on the table.  

Holly was an "only" for about 6 months after we lost Sneaky.  She did ok like that, but is so much happier that we have Sam.  Even though he's a year and a half old orange terror 

Cheryl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deanouk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i just wast say thanks for the support u guys have been great , my first eva cat indie I found on a building site when I did security , she had a lovely calm personality she used to go out but never went far she tended to gaurd the back garden bless her and she could hold her own an poor Lola she way crazy up for anything and not very smart but was a very happy energetic cat and love to spend time with other cats we have a lot of cats my house was like a meeting place a swear she attracted loads of kitty's but I used watch her and she never fell out with any they all used fall out with each other so I guess it can go by personality my first was a security gaurd I trained her well an Lola was alittle crazy not very street wise so I think outdoor cats sometimes make a better indoor cat lol that does sound stupid but I think u get what I mean but back to subject yes I going get them both in vets before they come home have flea spray warned chiped if possible in one go I did my Lola in 2 appointments then go from there

deanouk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will take some pics of them when I get them home, and also of Lola in over the bridge, this site really helped me, it's hard to talk like this really about cats I'm a 33 year old truck driver it down go down well with the diesel talking idiots lol, or in the real world this site has helped me loads ,just want say a big thank you to all of u

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just want to add that my catbaby was a former feral/semi-feral/stray...depending on people's terminology. She was captured by an animal shelter ~3.5 years old and must have been skinny at only 6.2 lbs. A rescue shelter then rescued her from being put down and she lived there for ~7 months. I was very worried about whether she'd be okay as an indoor only cat.

Fortunately, she has been fine and has not tried to dash out the door or anything. My door blew open when it wasn't locked one night after I'd had her ~3 weeks and she just sat at the doorway waiting for me to return from throwing out the trash. That said, my living room & bedroom is sort of like a cat amusement park.  Toys are everywhere on the floor and crumpled paper balls and different pet rugs are on the floor for her to lie on. She has a nice cat tower, two cat beds, 2 cat hidey holes she doesn't seem to use, a cat tunnel. My 2nd bedroom is her "sun room" where she likes to lie in the sunlight and sleep during the daytime. Empty boxes are in the living room for her to walk in or hide behind or beside when she wants to "hide" from me for a couple minutes.

In my cat's case, I think she's very happy being safe indoors and she's also very food-oriented and toy-oriented so she's quite happy at my apt.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor cats as well, they do fine and don't know any different. Just make sure you have enough for them to do and keep them company and they should be fine. They can be perfectly fine on their own, but having a friend (so a 2nd cat) wouldn't hurt at all. I know from a couple of people who started with 1 cat that he/she showingly missed having a friend around, so usually people end up with 2 or more anyway. Just like us, they like to have someone around of their own species so they can play and stuff when you are away, but also when you are at home (Really cute to see!).

Also, I'm no fan of getting your cat helped at the age of 16 weeks old. I usually suggest our kitten buyers (I'm an official breeder) to wait until after 6 months and before 1 year. The best age would be around 10 months, but from 6 months onwards it's okay. Specially with males you want to be on time, due to their way of leaving their scent behind (I don't know the english word for it ^^;;) If you don't want the brother to do the sister, just do it around 6 months and it's fine. The female will most likely not get her heat before 6 months (VERY rarely), and the male won't be ready yet either before that time. If you notice your female cat acting differently before 6 months make an appointment, or if your male starts to roar like a lion, jumps on the girl or starts peeing everywhere, get him helped ASAP (within that week). 

Last edited:

deanouk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It don't seem like it's going be to hard when I went see them, they seem to have a great bond play fighting falling asleep on each other I was told the female only likes biscuits which I found unusual , the boy the more playful one an the female is boss lol but she still plays a lot I think my main fear was them fighting I will get them both done and checked over , looking forward to it now just not looking forward to picking up Lola toys :-( she loved over cats I think if she's here in spirit she would love the company she was never the jealous type she new she was gorgeous

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will take some pics of them when I get them home, and also of Lola in over the bridge, this site really helped me, it's hard to talk like this really about cats I'm a 33 year old truck driver it down go down well with the diesel talking idiots lol, or in the real world this site has helped me loads ,just want say a big thank you to all of u
I hear you about being male and liking cats. People expect that my wife is the "cat  lover" in our house and they are surprised to find I am just as bad as her. We have a good friend who is an ex marine and he loves his cats - I can tease him about it, but I would like to see someone else try!

Eric 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's really good to hear. Come on to the forums and chat any time you feel like it, we never get tired of talking about our cats here.

My husband loves cats too. He's into rock climbing and bouldering and none of his macho boulder friends get it at all. Except for our vet, who's also a climber. They often have conversations about the cats as they're hanging off the rock face together.

"How's the wife and kids?"

"They're fine, how's the wife and cats?"