How do cats cope with our emotions?

anne3007

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know felines are very sensitive and somehow they can feel it when we are stressed or happy etc.

But I was wondering if anyone knows if I can 'hide' my stress/sorrow/anxiety to them? I live alone and I think the average person wouldn't notice I am stressed or anything when I am home. I'm not very restless or agitated. I barely cry. I try to act happy and calm.

However, I realize they somehow do feel that I am not feeling well and I feel so sorry for them because now they get stressed too, because of me?
I give them Royal Canin Calm now and use feliway and valerian toys, and try to avoid changes in the surrounding as much as possible. 
I am having a hard time at the moment and I don't  think I feel much better within a few days. And I really don't want to bother them with my issues.

My cats act differently since I am having a hard time. I am wondering if my stress is the cause. Is this most likely possible? Even though I try to hide my feelings and act the way I always did? 
I have three cats and the last couple of days they sometimes suddenly chase after each other and get frustrated and angry at each other. No real fights though, but just frustration obviously.

One of my cats was always quite relaxed and I notice she gets scared more easily when she hears an unexpected sound e.g.
Two of my cats are now spraying and they are both neutered and have been checked at the vet, so it is behavioral.
Perhaps I am too focused on their behavior because weeks ago, when I felt better,  there were also some frustration moments sometimes , but to me it seems like it is increased since the moment I got more and more stressed.
Do you think my cats feel my emotions this strong and is this a way of coping? 
Of course you will never know a cause for sure and perhaps there are other things that's causing stress too, but I was just wondering..and what can I do in the meantime? I am trying to feel better but as I said this might take at least a few weeks. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a reason our cats react and/or behave the way they do around us. It's because they can smell us!

Humans have many hormones and our bodies emit chemical scents that are undetectable to other humans, like pheromones and adrenaline. We emit different scents when we are sad, scared, happy, or content and our cats react to how we are feeling.

Cats have 19 million odor-sensitive cells in their noses compared to 200 million in dogs and about 5 million in humans. Cats also have a scent organ in the roof of their mouths called the vomeronasal (or Jacobson's) organ. When a cat wrinkles its muzzle, lowers its chin, and lets its tongue hang a bit, it is opening the passage to the vomeronasal. 

Sooooo... where does that leave you? 

You say you are experiencing a lot of anxiety and stress. Even though you aren't (or don't believe you are) showing outward signs of restlessness and agitation, your cat is smelling it. You might think you are 'hiding your feelings' from them by 'acting normal', but your body is still emitting those chemicals, regardless of what you think, and your cats are proving that to you.

Have you tried lowering your stress level with any type of stress management? Music can have a beneficial effect on our physiological functions, slowing the pulse and heart rate, lowering blood pressure, and decreasing the levels of stress hormones.Since I had a heart attack 2 years ago, I have learned to use music to relax and lower my stress. There is a wide range of relaxing music available and I have a small library of different types I listen to depending on my mood, time of day, and my need to calm down. 

So what type of music reduces stress the best? To start off, let's eliminate the hip-hop, heavy metal, classic rock, and new-age stuff! LOL A bit surprising is that Native American, Celtic, Indian stringed-instruments, drums, and flutes are very effective at relaxing the mind even when played moderately loud (but I suggest having the volume fairly low). Sounds of rain, thunder, and nature sounds (my cats enjoy the sound of birds and crickets chirping! I wonder why?) may also be relaxing particularly when mixed with other music, such as light jazz, classical (the "largo" movement), and easy listening music. 

Since with music we are rarely told the beats per minute, how do you choose the relaxation music that is best for you? The answer partly rests with you: You must first like the music being played, and then it must relax you. You could start by simply exploring different types of music. Some may relax you, some may not. Forcing yourself to listen to relaxation music that irritates you can create tension, not reduce it. If that happens, try looking for alternatives on the internet or consult with Counseling Service staff for other musical suggestions. It is important to remember that quieting your mind does not mean you will automatically feel sleepy. It means your brain and body are relaxed, and with your new calm self, you can then function at your best in many activities and your cats will see and smell a difference in the new you!

Where can you find relaxation music? I just Googled "relaxation music" and tons of options cam up! There are all kinds of recordings on YouTube. You can download Spotify - that is what I have and it is free! Many music stores have sections dedicated to relaxing or meditation music and some will allow you to listen to it on headphones prior to purchasing it. 

Spend 10 to 20 twenty minutes (or longer!) a day listening to music, and try this in combination with another mind/body technique, such as guided imagery (visualization), deep abdominal breathing or progressive muscle relaxation while you’re walking outdoors, sitting in your favorite chair, soaking in a warm bath, or getting ready for bed!

As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs. Chemical imbalances can be treated. They can also help you identify and cope with your specific stressors. 

At any rate, I hope this has given you some insight on how to possibly reduce your stress and your cats' stress. And please keep us posted to let us know how things are going for you and your cats!    

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anne3007

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply.

That explains a lot. I didn't know that and it is actually interesting. However, I feel so sorry for them :( Sometimes I don't even know myself how I feel, but perhaps they do..
So it really doesn't work to pretend everything is fine with me?

And there is nothing else I can do, besides the things I already do (feliway etc), and make sure I will feel better soon?

I find it hard to relax and meditation doesn't  really work for me. I think it is the circumstances and it also needs time. I have help though so that is OK, but it is not something that can be solved within a few days, unfortunately.. But now my stress level is very high, and I think it will get lower soon, but not normal soon. Huhh that's a weird sentence.. I am bad at explaining things :p