How did your kitty find you?

spooky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heres how Boo and Socks found me and my hubby...
Well, my husband and I just moved into a condo about 4 months ago and before we moved, we knew that we wanted to get some kitties. Hubby had cats and dogs all his life, and I never had, so we were excited. Well we looked up some places on the internet and for some of them you had to be 21, which we aren't, so we decided to check into the humane society that was close to our house. We went in one Saturday and looked at all of the cats. We knew that we were going to adopt 2, but we weren't sure if we were going to get older cats, or kittens. So we looked at all the kittens, and there were these two that were brother and sister and they kept sticking their paws out of the cage like they wanted to grab us so we could play with them. Well we went into a room with them and they were so scrawny and small, but so cute. They kept jumping on our laps and as soon as we saw them looking at us with their bright eyes we knew that we were theirs.

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have 5 kitties, so this may be a bit lengthy

First there was Onyx. Onyx's owners decided that they didn't want him anymore and even though he was only about 8 weeks old they thought he could fend for himself if they threw him in a ditch and walked away. But, they were nice enough (kind hearted souls
) to leave a litterbox with him
Someone heard the poor little guy howling one day and brought him home with them, but they couldn't keep him and I got a call to come see him. He had been in that ditch for a while and was skin and bones as well as ridden with parasites. He had 'chiggers' all over his face and head- a little orange blood-drinking mite. The infestation was so bad he had huge orange patches on him where the chiggers were congregated. They had even made a hole through one of his little ears. I cleaned him up, got him on some good kitten food and today hes a huge 17 lb kitty who loves to be in my lap more than anywhere else. I think hes grateful for the kindness we showed him

Next is Loco. He was born outside to a semi-feral momma. The owners put up an ad for kittens to give away and I went to have a look since Onyx seemed lonely. I had to come back twice since they couldn't catch the kittens
Loco is still a pretty nervous kitty despite all our loving attention, but he loves to have his tummy rubbed whenever I'll do it (who can resist a fuzzy kitty tummy?)

Missy was our next addition. My neighbors cat got hit by a car one day last September and a few days after she heard mewing comignfrom her barn. She was such an irresponsible pet owner she hadn't even known her cat had been pregnant and had kittens
She came to my door the day she found them and passed them to me (a litter of 4) and said if I didn't take them she was going to drown them. I had no idea what to do with 4 two week old kittens with no momma! That, actually is what lead me to this site!
If it weren't for me getting help here Missy, (the only kitten I kept-the others were taken in by the local shelter and cared for by volunteers) would have died. I had to feed her with a teeny bottle every two hours- I must've done well, shes a healthy 6 month old girl today

Next came Gypsy. She and her four siblings and Mommy were dumped off by the side of the road when their owners decided they didn't want to take care of the kittens. Someone, after finding them all huddled in the middle of the road, brought them to the Vets office. they were slated to be put down, but I rallied my friends and family and found homes for them all
Gyspy came home with me
Shes a little on the small side, but is doing well and is such a snuggly girl

Lastly we got Kiri. I had no intention of getting any more kitties but when I went into the Vet office to get flea control I saw the most pathetic looking little grey, buggy eyed kitten in a cage there. She was the last of another unwanted litter brought in to be put down. Her siblings were all beautiful classic tabbies and found homes (the Vet lets the litters brought in stay for a week or so to see if he can place them in homes when someone brings them in to be euathanized) but no one wanted this 'Ugly Duckling' She stared at me with huge green eyes way too big for her skinny little face and melted my heart. Shes about 6 months old now and is still very scared of people, but she always allows me- and JUST me- to pet and kiss her. I even get a purr if I'm lucky
I'm happy to be able to give her a home where she'll be loved despite her not-so-cuteness.

Whew!

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, as I've been reading these, what stands out to me is, all of us. I mean, almost every post has at least one story of choosing or rescuing a kitten or cat that was abandonned or unwanted or left at a shelter or sick or handicapped. What a kind hearted, generous, caring group of people we are!