how did your kitty come to live with you?

nekoha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First, I have to say that I have had cats my whole life. My parents were not good about neutering, so there were millions of kittens around all the time. They know better now!
The first cat I remember, the Empress of my heart, my soulmate, was Butterscotch. She jumped into the back of my dad's van and rode home with him (supposedly...). I think she had been an indoor pet, because she was always trying to get inside. At the time, we lived way out in the country and all our pets were outdoors only (my mom claimed to have allergies... those disappeared a few years later!)

Well, Butterscotch lived with me for 15 years. She lived as an indoor/outdoor cat for the last 8 or so years (refused to stay inside, she was wild at heart by then!). 8 years ago she was diagnosed with lymphoma, but therapy worked and she lived 2 more healthy years before finally having to be put down when the lymphoma became drug resistant. I dream of her often and I will never forget her!!
That brings me to my current babies. Butterscotch went to the Rainbow Bridge in September, and I really thought I would never get another cat. HA! Not 10 days had passed before I dreamed of Butterscotch and somehow I knew she was angry at me for not sharing my love with another cat who needed it. I went to my vet's office to get her advice and she immediately told me she had been waiting for me to come in - that everyone at the office had decided on THE cat for me!! That was Piccalo - the sweetest kitty ever! She was 2.5 or so, had been brought in by someone who had found her and her sister all torn up. Piccalo still gets scared by lots of things and still dislikes men in general (but my DH is okay, mostly
) but she is a total lovebug with me, though it took about 2 years for her to open up - nothing in my life has been so rewarding as the first time she let me hold her in my lap!!
She was at the vet's office for so long because everyone kept returning her due to "bonding issues" - people have no patience!!!
Pounce was just a kitten at the time, maybe 6 months old. She was very close to Piccalo, and she demanded to go with Piccalo to THEIR new forever-home!

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After living alone for a year I decided to get 2 cats. Went to Petfinder.com and found a rescue that was showing cats in my old neighborhood. I went to see the cats, filled out the forms and spoke to the lady who ran the rescue. She called me about a week later about 2 "older" cats that were hard to place because of their age. I said of course I would take them. Maggs, Jazz and I will be celebrating our 8th Gotcha Day in October!!!!

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Danny once belonged to my sister's MIL. When that lady passed away, her husband threatened to have Danny destroyed. My sister would never let this happen, but already had a kitty. (Danny is single by nature.) I had recently lost a cat to cancer and my sister knew Danny would be the perfect companion for me. We helped each other grieve and are best friends.

tiffany01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mocha-Got from the shelter.
Zoey-Got from my dad's bestfriend.
Sadie-Stray.
Casper-Stray.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauren_miller

So my husband thought he was allergic to cats but he was still open to the idea of going to the shelter and seeing if he had a reaction. We went to the shelter and we stayed for quite a while and my husband did have a reaction. We met Hurley and fell in love with his sweet little face. We ended up leaving, though without him. We got home and I kept pulling Hurley's profile up on Petfinder. My husband said he would try again and we went back the same day. The second time we were there my husband was fine. I think he was having a reaction to the strong cleaners they use there, rather than the cats. We adopted Hurley and it was all down hill (for my husband LOL) from there!
You sure do have an understanding husband.