how did your cats end up in your care?

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The ones I have now were all rescued from outside one place or another.

Ghost - was about 12 weeks when he showed up on my doorstep in late spring of 2012

Luci - was taken from the neighbor I lived by last summer, she was abandoned by her furmom and they didn't want her

Felix - was rescued by a co-worker's aunt and I was asked if I would take him. He had a brother (Jasper)  but he was sickly and ended up passing after a couple months. I never figured out what happened. He just never was really healthy. They were both very young.

Sammy - showed up at the house in front of me at the last place I lived, the lady's daughter was allergic and when I moved she asked if I would take him with me. He was about 9-10 weeks.

Ava - my oldest daughter found her under a car in Walmart parking lot. She jumped in my daughters arms and she brought her to me because her dad said no more cats.

I would love to find a forever home for Ava because she is a wonderful loving girl. Ghost tortures her and she stays in my baby girls room. My oldest daughter wants me to keep her because she found her and gave her to me but I hate that she can't enjoy the rest of the house because of Ghost. She needs to be in a one cat home because she is really timid. I keep talking to my dd because it isn't good for Ava. I would love to keep her but I have too many cats for her to be comfortable. Maybe before my dd goes off to college she will decide to let me find her a good forever home. 

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Rogue-

The Rogue was found in my car when he was about 4 weeks old.

I went into my garage one morning, heard kitten noises, looked around and didn't see any cat. Drove on and the noises continued. I stopped, popped the hood, didn't see anything, crawled under, didn't see anything. Started again. Repeated that same theme twice. Drove the half hour to work sweating, imagining killing a cat in my engine. Dropped the car off at the shop next to my work. They said it's probably some rubber band making the noises. An hour later they called me to come collect the kitten, which they pronounced healthy, along with the car (they had to take the wheel case apart to get him).

It was grey and covered in fleas. I washed it. It turned out white. Thankfully, he ate solids along with kitten replacement milk, or I wouldn't have been able to raise him.

The Rogue is about 20 pounds now. He's quite the character and still loves the car, mostly sitting on top or sliding down the hood.

Last edited:

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chase walked up to our friend's door & walked right in their apt. We took her when they moved & couldn't keep her. I was their cat sitter for years as a child.

Shizu was a shelter rescue. She picked us, literally.

Sunshine is the daughter of a cat I fed in my backyard for years (Mocha). She gave birth in our yard. 3 kittens came out, but the 4th got stuck on the way out. I brought her to the vet who performed an emergency c-section & spay. We kept her & the 3 kittens to administer medications...and they never left! 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first cat, Willow, moved in from a neighbour's house. They had just got a big dog and she decided to vote with her paws! The next two were british cream shorthairs - littermates Amber and Jamie. We got them from a breeder. We originally only wanted one (Jamie), but the breeder said that Amber was the runt of the litter and Jamie had appointed himself as Amber 's protector...even make space for Amber to suckle! Of course we took both of them, and they were inseparable until Amber died. A year or so after these two arrived, a black ragdoll mix appeared in our garden. He was in a dreadful state...All his fur was hanging off down one side, he had abscesses and injuries in various places and he was very thin. We think he'd been caught in a trap (and I mean poacher style). That was Sooty. He always had the biggest territory of the group. Then came Tabby, a DSH. He turned up and moved in one day. He had FIV and died in my arms. Briefly, a tuxedo DSH moved in. Like the rest, he was a stray. It very quickly became apparent that he was very ill...I forget what it was but it was probably another FIV case. We had him pts within a week. It was all we could do. Next was White paws, better known as Baby -another tuxedo DSH. He was a semi feral that turned up. We started feeding him and he eventually joined the family. Of all these cats, Jamie died last. After a while we really wanted another British shorthair. We bought a pair of littermates from a breeder...Cali, a cream, and Shadow, a blue. When I moved my horses to a new livery yard we aquire a friendly semi feral tabby DSH. She's called Pushkin. She's lived at the yard her whole life but didn't have a guardian. She fell for my exmoor and they shared a stable until we moved the pony into a different stable that didn't have space for her to come too. We moved her into the tack barn and she's the most pampered yard cat ever! Lastly, there are Aashka and Asha. Aashka is a semi feral tabby and white DSH that we're feeding and working towards trapping to re home. She's based at the yard too, and the owner doesn't want her to stay. Asha is my latest house cat. She's a bombay or burmese mix who was also at the yard and was bullied relentlessly by Aashka. She's been home a week and is loving every minute. ..her scratching post and new toys arrived today, and she's discovering the joys of playing :D

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Chase walked up to our friend's door & walked right in their apt. We took her when they moved & couldn't keep her. I was their cat sitter for years as a child.
That reminds me of one of my friend's cats. She went out one evening to call he cat in for dinner, and this strange cat came running up to her, sat down, and stared up as if to say, "you called?" He followed her up the stairs into her apartment, and the rest is history.

As for me:

- I picked up Tiny in 1999 as a kitten. My girlfriend had a cat, and we got Tiny so that she would have a companion. When we split, I kept Tiny, and my gf took her cat.

- In 2000, the (now ex-) girlfriend said that her sister had a really sweet cat that needed a home if I wanted a new companion for Tiny. I agreed and that's how Thufir (aka Mr. Fluffy) came into my home.

- In 2004, I heard a pathetic mewing behind the apartment building. Upon investigation, it turned out to be a four-week-old tuxedo kitten. She bonded with me instantly, and I named her Promise. I was out of work at the time and she spent the majority of the first eight months of her life growing up on my lap.

- At the same apartment building, I would put out food, and every year two or three new cats would show up. I would try to TNR them when I could. Loki was one of the last to show up in 2011, shortly before I moved. It was getting to be late Fall / early Winter when I had him neutered, and he was still a kitten so I didn't have the heart to send him back out into the cold temps. Loki adds a bit of the "clown factor" to my otherwise mature and staid crew. When I was picking him up from being neutered, one of the techs, apparently misunderstanding his name, commented that "he's not 'low key' at all." After I stopped laughing, I explained that it was Loki, as in the Norse god of mischief, and she thought that was more appropriate.