How did you name your cat?

heatherita510

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
martini was named way before she was even born! one day i randomly decided that when i moved to a new apartment, i was going to get a cat named martini. i talked about my future cat martini for like 6 months before i even got her. lol. i don't know, i just really wanted a cat named martini.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky-b/c he was lucky to have found us when he did.
Molly-a joke from a co-worker...it just stuck.
Spunky-b/c he was a laid back kitten & I was hoping he would become more active.
Connor- He was born on St. Patty's Day
Princess-She named herself. LoL None of the Irish names stuck.
Benson-According to Dh he is named after a TV butler....but I picked the name cause that's the street we found him on.

exoticbabee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We named her Babee because she was so tiny when we adopted her-5lbs! She weighs about 6lbs now but she is still so small. She also loves to be held-she will fall asleep in your arms in minutes.

kayfi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i went into petsmart with the roomates to look for hamster food. the spca was there and we looked at all the kitties. i didnt even see her at first, she was in a carrier with 2 small kittens and looked like a white blanket.

i held her and it was love at first site! i needed her! her foster mom named her "athena". i thought that was way to much of a strong name for a cat so she was "kitty" for about 3 days while i looked online at name meanings.

i ended up chosing "Fiona" because it just fit. it means "pure and white" (which she is), flowed off the tounge, and was close enough to her foster name she answered it. she goes by princes fiona (ala shrek) and Fi alot of the time

silvias14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I name all my pets after cars... one of my favorites is the Nissan Silvia... so Silvia is my baby

mochapenguin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kaylee is a character from the TV series Firefly and movie Serenity. My husband and I are geeks, really into space & sci-fi, and after spending hours considering names of stars or galaxies, we decided a simple reference to our favorite show (which is of course set in space!) was the perfect choice.

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mochapenguin

Kaylee is a character from the TV series Firefly and movie Serenity. My husband and I are geeks, really into space & sci-fi, and after spending hours considering names of stars or galaxies, we decided a simple reference to our favorite show (which is of course set in space!) was the perfect choice.
I love Firefly and Serenity and Kaylee is such a nice character with a very pretty name.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family is German and I grew up hearing "Butzie" as a term of endearment. When the vet asked me exactly what it meant I really didn't know. So I looked it up on the web and found out that there is this festival in Cologne where the girls walk around on 2/15 and look at the guys. If the guy approaches and she likes you then she will give you a "butzie" - a kiss. If she doesn't like you, she cuts off your tie.
Remind me to tell hubby to wear that tie Valentine's Day and not the day after!

kamoesdeesmom85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Delilah was named because I liked the song "Hey there Delilah" but my hubby calls her Idget

Moe was named because my son LOVES the doodlebops and thats HIS kitty.

shaunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it just happened in one day.actually we got a kitten from my aunts cats litter.after 3 to 4 days we were in search for a good name.and i came to see discovery channel of "loving your pets", then i saw a cat just like him named Pierre.i liked him very much.it was nicely tamed and trained.after that we came into a decision of naming him Pierre..

Regards,
Shaun

jaspers mummy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why did you name your kitty what you did ?

Jasper -: or JJ was named after a kitty that my mother owened when I was a child

Sabastion -: or Sabi was my hubbies idea he is named after the kitty Sabastion from Sabrina the teenage witch
well

So how did your kittys names come to be theres ?

red scathach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well my kitty who just passed on was named Pixie and I named her that because for some reason she would run head first into walls as a kitten, I swore that one day she would really hurt herself. I just kinda imagined that she was chasing pixies who could go through walls and she became Pixie.

Miles is named after Miles O'Brien from Star Trek, his sister (my in-laws cat) is named Deanna Troy too. My husband and his parents really like Star Trek.

Min I named after Min Farshaw from the novel series "Wheel of Time"

And Nymeria is named after Arya Stark's wolf in "A Song of Ice and Fire" another novel series.

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Junior (10mo male) was already named when I got him from the shelter so I left it. The 4mo female I got Saturday didn't have a name so I've been considering various complimentary names. The closest feminine equivalent to 'junior' I could come with was 'miss' (as in the mother is Mrs. Smith and the daughter Miss Smith) so the kitten is now Missy.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My RB cat Sphinx was named after the Egyptian Sphinx - being a regal fellow as he is.

Kuce - It took a few days to find a good name for her and after doing some research, found her name on the internet. Means - "The Quiet One" though I can't say it fits her now.

Luvbug - Self descriptive. He just loves attention - and this was a stray.

Lil' Jag - Found her in the tirewell of my brothers Jaguar as a kitten, hence the name.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With Tissy and BooBoo we couldn't figure anything out until one day, Lil miss Tissy was throwing a fissing and make his buddy go BooBoo! She would kick his buck, so I thought of that poem and went from there. Kitten got her name because we kept waiting for the attitude so we could name her something else, well since she only liked me, she was called Ki""en, just like kitten but dont say the t's! When we got Glitch and Scud, Glitch got his first because it was a Glitch we even had him! Scud got his name because his mommy told me it has to start with a sc so I went through and now his name is Scud Missle (she has a son in the Navy ) With Eek it was easy, I walked up to him, he looked at me and went EEKEEEKKK! I was like you're coming with me and that is your name. It stuck well!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stanley was named Stan because we thought we were going to see a girl named "Stella"...so when we got there and they told us the foster family discovered he wasn't a girl and re-named him Romeo, we decided that Stanley fit him better (the characters in "Streetcar Named Desire" are Stanley and Stella). In retrospect, I'm glad he wasn't a girl because I'd have to hear DH yelling "Stel-la" all the time (for those of you familiar with the famous movie version).

Bella needed a really girly name...I wanted to name her Della, but DH's dad had a secretary with that name, so that was a no-go. Bella is short for "Bella Ragazza"--beautiful girl.