How did you meet your significant other?

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh...where do I start? *lol*

Last July, I started a new job & was excited about the new possiblities of having a good social life. My previous job worked me like a dog & even though I attempted dating, it was nearly impossible with my job. I had been on a few Dating Sites but the men were just not my type. Quality over Quantity! Well, I was ready to give up with the online thing when I received an "icebreaker" on my Yahoo Personals Ad. Now, I had strict rules when it came to online dating. If you don't have a pic, then I don't look at your profile. I know it sounds harsh, but I had been burned badly with this one & I wasn't taking any chances. Sure enough, the icebreaker didn't have a picture. I checked the box to deleted it but something told me to look at it. What did I have to lose? So, I opened it & thought I'd look at this profile. I was amazed with what I had found. His words were as if I had wrote them. His sense of humor poured out in his words & he literally had me laughing out loud when I read it. Also, hidden in his profile he had a couple pictures & he was incredibly handsome! So, I decided to send him an icebreaker back. Nearly instantly, I received an email. We shot emails back & forth through out the next day. Later that night, we decided to talk on the phone. I found that he went to College right across the street from where I lived, he grew up & lived only blocks away & we frequented the same places. I couldn't believe that I hadn't seen him before! We decided to meet at a local coffee shop on Sunday afternoon & I was completely hooked. We ended up going out to dinner the next night & again a couple nights later. After that, we couldn't get enough of each other. A month later, we were talking about how great things are going & he looked me in the eye with tears welling up and told me that he thought he was falling in love with me. I had been feeling the same but was afraid that I had mistaken lust for love.

It was love after all & I could never ask for anything better. Next Monday we will celebrate our first year together since that was the date of our first meeting. Also, we just moved in together last week & have plans to get engaged after he graduates from school next Spring. Big Plans for this relationship!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to add, my husband had long hair also when we met

I too am a sucker for men w/long hair... I think it's the "bad boy" thing

Too bad a year and half later he had to cut it off for a job

I wouldn't let him go to a barber to cut it.. I did it myself... I still have the ponytail

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

I wouldn't let him go to a barber to cut it.. I did it myself... I still have the ponytail
That is cute..I would probably put the pony tail in a scrapbook!!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alaynna

That is cute..I would probably put the pony tail in a scrapbook!!
Thats what I did!

Deacon my 4 yr old also had long hair and curls just like him. When he was almost 3 we cut his also. Justice was 3 and had long hair and we cut... So both my boys and DH's ponytails are in my keepsake box at my moms!

meldonn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is going to sound corny but my husband and I were high school sweethearts.

I was a freshmen and he was a sophomore. I was standing in Algebra class talking to someone about our school pictures (which we just got back) and he walked up to me and asked for my picture. At first I thought he was crazy and did not respond to him (I was also very shy back then). Well, after a week of think about it and I decided to give him a picture on which I wrote. "To a nice guy, can wait to be friends with you." After that we were passing notes back and forth in class and talking between classes we were not serious. Things did not get serious until after christmas time because I was kind of into this other guy but for christmas he gave me a box of chocolate covered cherries (which is do not like) and my husband gave me a teddy bear (which I loved and still have). The other thing that clinched the deal was I got really sick and was out of school for two weeks after christmas and the boy I like did not even call me once, even when a friend of mine asked him why he did not call me. But the who whole time I was sick my husband called me everyday to see how I was doing. So as soon as I got back to school I told the other guy that I did not want to have anything to do with him anymore and then started dating my husband. We have been together for 21 years now.

I believe love is out there and God will let you know who is right for you.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meldonn

I believe love is out there and God will let you know who is right for you.
Well said!!

I agree completely with you, I believe everything happens for a reason .

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I met my bf through It's Just Lunch - a matchmaking service that sets you up on blind dates. It costs $1,500 but I think it was so worth it since this guy and I are crazy about each other and decided on our 2nd date that we want to get married (but we're going to wait a few months before actually getting engaged)

Good luck!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I met my husband in high school when I was 16...we ran outdoor track together and had mutual friends. We were both dating other people all through college (we went to different schools) but we stayed friends. Then we started dating when I was 21 and we were both out of college and single! 2 years after that we got married!

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Once upon a time a long time ago I was in the military, serving on a ship out of Boston, Massachusetts. One casual Saturday afternoon my ship was in port, which was rarely the case, and I was enjoying a cup of coffee. Suddenly into the wardroom bursts a shipmate in an obvious state of panic.

"Jim, I need help -- badly. I have a date tonight, and I just got a call from my fiancee. She is arriving in a couple of hours, with no advance warning. Can you help me out? I will pay for dinner for you and Ann if you will fill in for me after I come down with a bad cold. She is really a nice girl."

What could I do? A shipmate in distress. The Code of the Sea demanded that I come to his assistance.

Ann and I had that dinner, at a very costly high scale restaurant at my shipmate's expense. Since Ann will not let me date this incident for you, I will only say that after dinner we attended the Boston premiere of the great "South Pacific," starring Mitzi Gaynor and Rossano Brazzi.

After the movie I carried Ann across the muddy Boston Common to her dorm in a downpour. The Sir Walter Raleigh stunt did it. Ann and I celebrated our 47th anniversary last month.

Good cheer to all, and may you be as blessed in your marriage as we have been.

Jim

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Oh my gosh, I practically hyperventilate at the thought of my fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] cutting his hair short! I think if he did it and didn't tell me about it, I wouldn't recognize him when I next saw him! I would probably save it as well.

~Julia

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I met my now husband David, in the widow/widowers chatroom on AOL. On Sept 1, 1996 my first husband Bob was killed in a boat accident on Saratoga Lake in NY. He as 42 years old. I was 31. After a while my sis in law told me about this chatroom for widows/widowers so I bought a computer and got on there and it was a huge part of me healing, eventually helping people who were more newly widowed than I was. To make a long story short I eventually met David on there and his first wife died the same year of Colon cancer, After talking online for a few months we decided to talk on the phone and then we talked everyday for hours and hours. He had this sweet southern accent that just killed me. Eventually he flew to NY in August of 97 and we already were in love by then, we got married on February 14, 1998 in Puerto Rico, he planned the whole thing! We have been happily married ever since living in KY with our fur babies. the best thing David was a dog person until he met my Bella and fell in love with her now he's all about cats!!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mine did too!
But he donated the hair to Locks of Love, so I suppose I can get over it.

Who am I kidding? No I can't!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crys12065

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You guys are all gonna make me cry

Everyone has such beautiful stories...

there are a lot of online stories out there...maybe I will not write off chatting online just yet

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crys12065

You guys are all gonna make me cry

Everyone has such beautiful stories...

there are a lot of online stories out there...maybe I will not write off chatting online just yet
dont be in a rush and just for fun. i noticed things go much better that way/

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abnihon

I met my bf through It's Just Lunch - a matchmaking service that sets you up on blind dates. It costs $1,500 but I think it was so worth it since this guy and I are crazy about each other and decided on our 2nd date that we want to get married (but we're going to wait a few months before actually getting engaged)

Good luck!
The pricetag weeds out at least some of the crazies and undesirables, I should think!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beach Bum

Once upon a time a long time ago I was in the military, serving on a ship out of Boston, Massachusetts. One casual Saturday afternoon my ship was in port, which was rarely the case, and I was enjoying a cup of coffee. Suddenly into the wardroom bursts a shipmate in an obvious state of panic.

"Jim, I need help -- badly. I have a date tonight, and I just got a call from my fiancee. She is arriving in a couple of hours, with no advance warning. Can you help me out? I will pay for dinner for you and Ann if you will fill in for me after I come down with a bad cold. She is really a nice girl."

What could I do? A shipmate in distress. The Code of the Sea demanded that I come to his assistance.

Ann and I had that dinner, at a very costly high scale restaurant at my shipmate's expense. Since Ann will not let me date this incident for you, I will only say that after dinner we attended the Boston premiere of the great "South Pacific," starring Mitzi Gaynor and Rossano Brazzi.

After the movie I carried Ann across the muddy Boston Common to her dorm in a downpour. The Sir Walter Raleigh stunt did it. Ann and I celebrated our 47th anniversary last month.

Good cheer to all, and may you be as blessed in your marriage as we have been.

Jim
Oh, I think this is my fav. love story ever!