How did you meet your cat?

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I met Fergus 4 years ago (almost 5 now) at my boyfriend's (at the time) apartment door. It was a 4-plex, and I had spotted this pretty white and orange-splotched kitten wandering about in the front lawn for a few days. At some point, I heard a scratching at our door at about 3 a.m. It was about 20 degrees (brrrrr!!!), freezing rain, and yucky outside, I look down, and there's the kitten, crying, and he ran past me into the apartment. Well, it was right there and then, that I decided that I'd keep him. I had a sneaking suspicion that the kitten belonged to the scuzzy neighbor that lived 3 doors down, and had been letting him go outside, right in front of the busy street, in horrible weather, and leaving a dirty leaf-covered dish of 16 cent cat slop on it. Fergus had a wounded front paw, part of his tail missing, ear mites, and filthy fur...I didn't care! He was perfect to me, and we went immediately to the vet the next day...he got a nice bath, a bandage for his foot, vaccinations, ear mite meds, meds for an URI, and a complimentary trip to PetSmart...toys, a bed, good food, etc. He then went back home with me, and has never looked back.

Ripley was a shelter kitten...she'll turn 4 on March 28! Apparently she was born in a barn, and the mother had abandoned the litter.

Captain Steuben came to me from a farmer, whose hard-working mouser ferals had kittens...Steub was the pick of the litter by about 4 other people, but I laid down twice the amount of the asked adoption fee, and nabbed him right there and then!!! I had to have Steuben, and apparently there were others who felt the same way! But hahahaha!!!! I GOT HIM!!!! Anyway, he's 10 months now, and will also have his first birthday in March!

catlady4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two girls came from the shelter where I volunteered. Taffy had been there for three weeks and she was going to be put down as no one seemed to want her. I brought her home with me, and she has been wonderful! My Geeker was so sick, she was near death and left outside the shelter in the drop box. I called my husband and told he I was taking a kitten to the Vet, he said O.K., just don't bring it home with you. Well, of course I brought it home, and after a few hundred dollars she also came into the house to be Taffy's baby. I saw my beautiful Winkie actually thrown out of a moving car, I thank my lucky stars that I was there and could pick him up. His face was badly damaged, and his left eye was badly infected. Of course he went immediately to the Vets, his eye was removed, and he was neutered at the same time. He was on medication for infection for some time, and now he is a wonderful boy and fit perfectly into our home. Now, as you might guess, I am allowed to foster, but not to bring any more cats home! Thank goodness I have another building to foster in, and I keep it as full as I can.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie is from a cat rescue organization. A student, whose mother was fostering Jamie's mom, came to school late because she had watched the birth of all five kittens. I spontaneously said I'd take one or two kittens, since our cat at the time was a rather wild ex-feral who spent most of his time outdoors. Jamie was the kitten who decided to come home with me. He bit my fingers, jumped on my head, and untied my shoelaces - who could resist?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I met Harley at John's mom's house - since it was John's mom's cat that had the litter... whenever we went over there, I always played with them and we just ultimetly decided to bring the little runt home!

Same with Davidson! Him and Harley are 1/2 brothers - same mom cat, different daddy cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What wonderful stories!!!! I especially love how it was just "love at first sight" for so many of you!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom actually chose Duke, he was a rescue kitty. I chose Sibohan she was a serogate moter to a bunch of kittens and when her kittens were adopted she was put up for adoption. I fell in love with her the moment she looked at me.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pearl was rescued form an abusive home by my daughter.
Pepper had been hit by a car and when trying to run out of the road, ran in front of me. I stopped to pick her up, and she crawled up into my brake springs. I had to pull her out, and nearly got run over myself, lying in the road under my car with my legs sticking out.
I took Scooter, aka Poot, from 2 janitors at a hotel where I worked when they wanted to see if a kitten could be flushed down a toilet.
My SO rescued Fluffy when someone threw her out in the parking lot of his job. He saw her tapping her little paws on the window and it was love at first sight. She is his girl, and does not mind letting me know it.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lily was a feral kitten that got stuck in the rock wall infront of my parents house. We took her in to tame her. Only it didnt work out to well and she only liked me. So I decided she was going to stay with me forever. No one else would love the rotten bratty spraying killer kitty. Thanksfully she's mellowed out quite a bit and doesnt do sneak attacks on people who come into my house any more. Though she does get John still every once in a while. She's a sweetie pie to me though. She's my baby girl.

Annie Rose was my parents cat. She was there for a little while before I moved out. Then in August she came to live with me because my parents didnt want to deal with kittens. She ended up going into preterm labor. Had 3 kittens that came out and then had to have a c-section/spay to remove the rest. She was very sick for a long time. But shes doing fine now. Though she is the weirdest cat Ive ever met. She doesnt react to anything. Unless she is scared and then she flips out! Otherwise she just sits around staring at the other animals.

Kitten was also a feral kitten. Though it didnt take very long to tame her down. I picked her to keep out of a litter because she looked just like my old cat that had died a month before. She had very similar markings. But she grew up to be a much leaner kitty. Taking after the siamese in her. But she's a sweetie pie. She still doesnt like to be held. But Im working on that.

Nazumi my big bratty baby boy I got an email about from a person on another board. They knwe I had recently lost Bagheera to Congestive Heart Failure at only 6 months of age. And thought I might be willing to take in another kitty with a heart murmur. Their was tons of mix ups. Because there were 3 litters of Bengal or Bangal mix kittens and each one had several kittens with heart murmurs. Well I was initially told he was a 9 WEEK old gray and white kitten. Then it switched to 6 month old gray tabby and white kitten. Then it switched to (when I picked him up) he turned into a 9 lbs thin super sickly oily coated 9 month old kitten. So I was like fine whatever. A couple weeks later I get a call saying sorry there was a mix up. Hes actually 6 months old. And by that time he was already 13 lbs. So I asked them how they were sure he was one of the 6 month olds. And they said because all the 6 and 9 month old kittens are still here except for Simba one of the 3 Bengal mix kittens. So I finally got his info about 2 weeks ago.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LuckyGirl found my DH while we were on vacation in FL, he likes to say we were "cat burglars" and we "cat-napped" her. We rescued her, but really she rescued us....we thought we had a home filled with love, but really we had nothin' without her!

Louie was a result of a neighbors female housecat getting loose for 2 days in heat, and coming back pregnant....she had 6 kittens, and found homes for all of them except Louie....so I took him, and snuck him home as a birthday present for LuckyGirl!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to a friends' house and their family member's asked me, "Do you want a cat?"
I went inside and met Sneakers, who was staying in their bathroom because she didn't get along with their 5 cats. Apparently they had "rescued" her in almost the same way that I got her. Their younger daughter was at this woman's house (not sure why) and when she commented on how pretty Sneakers was the woman asked if she wanted her! Her older sister came and carried her home (all 16 lbs of her) but they could not keep her themselves.