How did you choose your cats names?

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

Harlow's name was "Daddy-o" which suited him because he is a cool cat (beatnik and jazz reference) and because he was the father of kittens who came with him into the shelter. I like that name, and he still knows it as I sometimes call him that. "Harlow" came to me in the middle of the night when he was in the bathroom the first night I had him and he was yelling his head off. I'd go in to comfort him every so often, and suddenly, at 3 or 4 a.m., I knew his name. I had worked on a list that evening of about 30 names, and "Harlow" wasn't on it. I don't know where it came from. I think of "Jean Harlow," though, the glamorous Hollywood actress from the 1930's, as an inspiration because Harlow is such a glamor boy.

Robin
I just LOVE THIS, and I don't know why!!!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Freya - We'd wanted t call her Odin because of the one eye, but she was a girl so it became Freya instead. We were originally thinking of calling her Jasmine, but it was just too girl-y for her.

Cotton
- He came with the name and by the time we thought of anything to change it to, we realized he answered to it, so he stayed Cotton...although we decided that his full name was "Theodore Aloysius von Cottonburg the Third"

Sybil - she got the name because she's our split personality kitty. when she was outside, we figured she was semi-feral at best. The minute she came inside, she was a lap cat.

Wendel - Like Cotton, he came with the name and we decided that it really suited him, so we kept it.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nero - Black in Italian. His name was "Stone" when we adopted him. And they had him listed as a girl

Hoshi - "Star" in Japanese. His name was "Star" when we adopted him, but he looked too macho for that name
We called him "Asteri" and "Hoshi" and he responded to Hoshi.

Neko - Cat in Japanese. His name was "Jim Bob" (UGH) when we adopted him. Obviously, that name HAD to go. He looked like "Neko" would fit, and it has.

Katina - I said female kitten in Italian was "gattina", and hubby heard "katina" and it stuck.Turns out "katina" is Lithuanian, it fit better than we thought!

Monte (RB) - My dad suggested that name for him, since Rob has a Monte Carlo SS.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Demon - named because she screamed from the moment she was born until she was 5 days old and I didn't get any sleep. We thought she was going to die.
What was wrong with her?

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

For some reason, my cats usually end up with an Irish or English name. There's:
Hannah Bea
Jack-ola
Rufus John
Katie Mae
Bridget Elaine
Charlotte Roberta

With names like that, I could list all of them as dependents on my tax return.
Yes you could

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My4LLMA

What was wrong with her?
No idea just like a baby with colic I assume. She's 5 and a 1/2 weeks old now and she deserves the name Demon for different reasons. She's a little terror.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby came to live with me when she was 4 months old. The girl I got her from had named her "Abby", short for "Abigail" because of her red fur.

When I met Abby, she looked like an "Abby", so I left it. And it fits her to a tee! I can't imagine her having had any different name.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking through a Cherokee languages book, and discovered that the word Wessah meant cat. I thought, if I got a cat I'll name it Wessah. So, I got a cat shortly after that, and named him Wessah. I call him Wess, or Wessie for short.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shadey - It looked like someone took a pencil and "shaded" him in.
Elliott - I have just always loved the name. It really suits him!
Imhotep - I wanted an unique Egyptian name, and it means "He who comes in peace." He always puts me at ease.
Osiris - Continuing with the Egyptian theme.
Cleopatra II - Again with the Egyptian theme, but the first Cleopatra passed away exactly one month before she was born, so I thought it would be a nice tribute.
Nova - Dana named him. It just came to him one day.

Azizi - Again with the Egyptian theme, meaning "precious" and he certainly is!
Teyah - I just thought it was a beautiful name.
Pria - It was a character in a book I was reading and I LOVED the name.
Lionel Pitre (LP) - I have NO idea where this name came from... It just popped into my head and I loved it...lol. Lionel gets called LP more frequently than anything else now.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I love this thread. I want a cat called Mollipop *stamps feet*

Flutterby - My Nana named her. Her breeder wanted to call her Butterfly but my Nana said that was boring.

Demon - named because she screamed from the moment she was born until she was 5 days old and I didn't get any sleep. We thought she was going to die.
LOL! The name Mollipop works for this little girl...she was meant to be a Mollipop from day one. She does look like a little Mollipop!

I love the name Flutterby! And I also like Demon for a screaming kitten. And if we ever got a little boy kitty, I'd like to call him Damian. (And remember, Demon may be a little terror, but she's YOUR little terror, so it works out. She'll calm down - someday!
)

I only ever found one other Banshee and they had given the name to a male cat....I thought banshees were all female. I'm sure there are other Banshee-babies around. I loved her name and it fit her to a T.

And Kailie? One of these days, I'm coming to Canada and I'm stealing Shadey!
That boy takes my breath away every time I see your signature. He is just gorgeous!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose the name of Autumn because she is a tortie and has the colors of the Fall.

Misty my RB kitty was named after the weather that day. There was a light misty rain coming down so there it was.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No idea just like a baby with colic I assume. She's 5 and a 1/2 weeks old now and she deserves the name Demon for different reasons. She's a little terror.
I bet she makes up for it in cuteness

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
erikathesiamese Your Erika is beautiful

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know we've had similar threads before, but they're always so fun -- I couldn't resist posting
!

Cassidy came home with me first. She was named Orianna at the shelter. I think the name Orianna means golden. And, that would've been a perfect name for her since she is a very pretty ginger and white DLH, but it just didn't suit her. The name Cassidy came to me just minutes after meeting her and since I was going with an Irish-y theme, it fit her (and me!) perfectly.

Delaney was a name that I had picked out before even meeting my second kitty. I loved the name and thought it was so cute -- especially when paired with Cassidy. I lucked out when I met Delaney and realized that the name suited her. Her name at the shelter was Lily Bean. I think it's a cute name, but it's just not up my alley. And, trust me, Delaney is no Lily Bean!

Emory was named Emma at the shelter. I had no idea of what I wanted to name her and even came here looking for suggestions. I liked the name Emma, but I just wasn't attached to it. It's funny now, actually, since I tend to call Emory by the nickname, Em. And, sometimes, Emma even slips out now and again. But, as pretty as she is, she's just not an Emma. I almost named her Fiona, but I'm glad I didn't -- she doesn't seem like a Fiona one bit. So, Emory it is. It suits her and is both cute and unique. It really was the best name for her...even if it did take forever to come up with!

Finnegan was easy. I already had the Irish theme going and he is a ginger and white DLH -- it was between Flynn, Finley, and Finnegan from the get-go. Once we found out he was, in fact, a he, the name Finnegan stuck. It's literally the perfect name for him. I couldn't imagine him being called anything else!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mushroom - I called his litter sister Badger, so for all those who know the song Badger, Badger, Badger....Mushroom, Mushroom. That's how he got his name.
Aaargh, now that song is stuck in my head again!

My cats have mostly been named by their breeders.

Utu: it means mist or haze in english (not fog). He had a brother who died at the age of 3 days who was named Usva, which is a synonym for Utu, so it's kind of a tribute name. And he looks like mist.

Kuura: means frost in english. The whole litter was named with a winter theme, inspired by their color (black silver shaded). It fit well together with Utu, so I didn't change it.

Tomu: dust in english. Not the kind you find under your furniture, but more like 'fairy dust'.
Again I thought that the name fit with the others so I kept it.

Luna: as you propably know, means the moon. Her real name is Dascha, but it didn't really fit in and it's annoying to pronounce for a finnish person (name is german) so she became Luna because she's silver, beautiful, and I like the name.

Casper: My rainbow kitty Casper's real name was Fidel. The breeder sometimes called him Castro (
) but changed it to Casper, or Kasperi like we write it in finnish. I wasn't his first owner, so when I got him he was already used to being Casper so the nickname was kept. Sometimes it was shortened to Kassu.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NorthernGlow your Luna is beautiful

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My4LLMA

I bet she makes up for it in cuteness
You can be the judge here she is...photo taken yesterday

Originally Posted by Winchester

I love the name Flutterby! And I also like Demon for a screaming kitten. And if we ever got a little boy kitty, I'd like to call him Damian. (And remember, Demon may be a little terror, but she's YOUR little terror, so it works out. She'll calm down - someday!
)
The name Flutterby is great isn't it. Very unique and it suits my pretty little girl. I love the name Damian too. Demon is a calm little girl now, she's really very sweet!

Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

Aaargh, now that song is stuck in my head again!
Sorry!