How did we accumulate so much crap in 3 years???

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, DH and I are packing up the house to move. HOW did we get so much stuff??? I figured the spare bedroom would be pretty easy to pack up...until I opened the closet! I found clothes I forgot we had (going to goodwill) and Christmas presents we got for friends 2 years ago and didn't see to give them. I'm just terrible at organizing anything, and just looking around here makes me want to cry. Good thing is, we're just moving across the road so we can just fill a few totes, carry them and put them away, and load up again. Next weekend is the BIG move as in furniture, bedroom etc unless we can get an extension from the bank. But I just want it done now! Where's my magic wand?

On a side note, I feel much better about the decision to let the house go now. DH and I had a long talk and the choices were kill ourselves trying to keep the house by working 12-14 hour days and never seeing each other, or cutting our losses and moving to a house we can fix up step by step but still have time for each other, and maybe actually be able to afford going out to dinner on special occasions. It's just sucked the past year. No anniversary dinner, no birthday celebrations, no Christmas. That's not living, that is existing.

It would be different if we had kids because I do believe children should have consistency, but our kids are 4 legged and furry and they don't care where they live as long as their food bowl is on the floor. We're just chalking this up to a learning experience and move on. But, I hate moving...it's so depressing.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder the same thing myself sometimes. When I bought this house, I moved in with 2 loads in an S-10 pickup truck and a few things in the boat on the trailer.

Now, it would take 2 railcars and a dump truck to move out of this place.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crap is magnetic. It is attracted to you.

And every time you attempt to get rid of it, twice as much attaches itself.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you read that recent thread in IMO.

And yeah, most people seem to accumulate stuff. As long as it isn't piled up to the ceiling I think you're safe from it being a problem. DH and I didn't have that much space before we moved and I have no idea how we had so much stuff. Some of if is still packed up.

I hope your move is easy (no one hurts their back in the process or anything).
that things start looking up for the two of you in the future.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved last May and yes it was very depressing. Like you, I only moved across the road and also filled up totes since it was easier to carry than boxes. Still in all moving is a big pain in the butt no matter how close or far you go. In the end it is worth it tho but right now I know you must be so stressed out as I was. Hope everything runs smoothly the rest of the way

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Crap is magnetic. It is attracted to you.

And every time you attempt to get rid of it, twice as much attaches itself.
Haha, that would totally explain me!
I'm a crap magnet too

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is truly amazing. When I left for college, I gave everything I had away except what I took with me. I lived out of a backpack for years. I had to take time off to work, so needed an apartment. I bought two futons - one for sleeping on, and folded up, the two of them acted as couches. Didn't even bother with frames.
I think I got a toaster and some plates, pans and silverware at a house sale. Anway, that all disappeared when I was ready to go back to school.

When Gary and I got married and moved in to the RV, once again, we both cleaned out our lives, and gave everything we had away except what we wanted to bring with us in the RV. I sent three boxes of books to my sister - that was it. Gary had two paintings at his mom's house.

By the time we were done traveling, we'd managed to consolidate the storage places we'd taken out in Chicago, Elkhart, IN and NJ into one in NJ. We lived in a house for two years before we had to move homes. It was a nightmare! We moved boxes that we'd never even unpacked from storage.
When we moved back into the RV, we needed the largest storage locker the place had for all the furniture and amazing amounts of STUFF (for us, especially books. I think we had like 30 boxes of them.
) ... and I finally HAD to go through those boxes that hadn't been unpacked for years. Yup - it all got tossed or given to goodwill.

My thoughts are with you! Been there, done that!

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
awww hun i know what you mean

we didnt realise we had "aquired" over the three years we lived together
most of it went to the recycling village we have or to charity shops i couldnt bear to just through stuff away

i said never again but ive started getting new things for when we can move back in with each other
sssssshhhhhh dont tell him though

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could always try having a yard sale and maybe get some extra cash. I did it before we moved last time and made way more money than I thought I would. I even sol some of my kids clothes which I didn't think I would sell any.

Good luck I hope things look up for you guys soon.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find moving cleaning and renovating to be good times to let go of the junk!

Having to move everything really makes me think about: do I need it? want it? Is it worth having to trip over it and clean it?

Is it too cold to have a moving sale?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to do a good clean house in the winter months. I just donated a bunch of clothes to Goodwill and to a men's charity shop that was looking for dress/casual work clothes.
I tried a rummage sale last year and didn't sell much I need to have a couple of my SIL's and nieces come over and pick through the stuff then its going on craigslist or goodwill.

But still over 24 1/2 years at this house we have lots more than when we started!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't take long to collect stuff!!

I'm in the process of ditching "junk" too! I absolutely hate clutter and I have so much of it
I have to go through some closets and cupboards one day.

timeforaction

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe you would be a good candidate for the Hoarders show. Not that everyone wants to put their life on television.
I think as a society, we have been only too successfully pulled into the 'buy things to feel good, or just plain buy things' marketing strategies through which we are inundated. I myself am going back to basics in every way I can think of, which is rather fun in a lot of ways. Good luck with the downsizing. I challenge you to keep it that way! (Good luck with that!)

Originally Posted by calico2222

So, DH and I are packing up the house to move. HOW did we get so much stuff??? I figured the spare bedroom would be pretty easy to pack up...until I opened the closet! I found clothes I forgot we had (going to goodwill) and Christmas presents we got for friends 2 years ago and didn't see to give them. I'm just terrible at organizing anything, and just looking around here makes me want to cry. Good thing is, we're just moving across the road so we can just fill a few totes, carry them and put them away, and load up again. Next weekend is the BIG move as in furniture, bedroom etc unless we can get an extension from the bank. But I just want it done now! Where's my magic wand?

On a side note, I feel much better about the decision to let the house go now. DH and I had a long talk and the choices were kill ourselves trying to keep the house by working 12-14 hour days and never seeing each other, or cutting our losses and moving to a house we can fix up step by step but still have time for each other, and maybe actually be able to afford going out to dinner on special occasions. It's just sucked the past year. No anniversary dinner, no birthday celebrations, no Christmas. That's not living, that is existing.

It would be different if we had kids because I do believe children should have consistency, but our kids are 4 legged and furry and they don't care where they live as long as their food bowl is on the floor. We're just chalking this up to a learning experience and move on. But, I hate moving...it's so depressing.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Amazing, isn't it? I'm sure there's some mathematical formula to compute the ratio of space vs. the need to fill it, etc.

When we bought this house 5 years ago last month, it was so Zen and bare and lovely...I remember those days wistfully...it's not cluttered nor crowded now--I mean, I don't think TLC coming over any time soon to feature us on The Secret Lives of Hoarders or anything--but I would like to live more simply, and have been working on getting rid of stuff. I found items that I bought at the work tag sale a few months after we moved in--and still haven't used them 5 years later. They are GOING, NOW!

Fortunately, I found out about www.VVA.org. It's a Vietnam veterans charity that accepts donations of household goods, small furniture, make-up, jewelry, etc. You schedule a pick-up with them, and leave the stuff out. They re-rell most of it thrift shops, and use the money to provide Vietnam veterans' services.

Good luck with your move! I'm happy for you--I hope your life becomes easier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TimeForAction

Maybe you would be a good candidate for the Hoarders show. Not that everyone wants to put their life on television.
I think as a society, we have been only too successfully pulled into the 'buy things to feel good, or just plain buy things' marketing strategies through which we are inundated. I myself am going back to basics in every way I can think of, which is rather fun in a lot of ways. Good luck with the downsizing. I challenge you to keep it that way! (Good luck with that!)
Oh hon, I'm not a hoarder!
Honestly. I only buy the neccesitiesl like laundry soap, dish washer liquid, shampoo, etc...oh, and of course food. The last time I bought anything for myself was a pair of sneakers because my old ones had holes in them and my feet got wet. I bought them at a discount store for $12.

Part of the problem is I still have a ton of stuff from my parent's house. Still trying to get that all organized but it's a lost cause.

A yard sale is definately in the future but I'm just wondering where we're going to store everything until then.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a rule I try to go buy. That is when I bring something home, I take something to the thrift store. It works and I don't get so much stuff accumulated.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Oh hon, I'm not a hoarder!
Honestly. I only buy the neccesitiesl like laundry soap, dish washer liquid, shampoo, etc...oh, and of course food. The last time I bought anything for myself was a pair of sneakers because my old ones had holes in them and my feet got wet. I bought them at a discount store for $12.

Part of the problem is I still have a ton of stuff from my parent's house. Still trying to get that all organized but it's a lost cause.

A yard sale is definately in the future but I'm just wondering where we're going to store everything until then.
http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/