How did u learn to type?

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just remember! Spell checkers won't catch things like two/too/to or their/they're/there or it's/its! There's some things humans are still better at

Cindy

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

Just remember! Spell checkers won't catch things like two/too/to or their/they're/there or it's/its! There's some things humans are still better at

Cindy
Oh, I agree, having experimented with many translation programs. Still, they're good at picking up on typos.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
My mother made me take typing in high school. I told her I wasn't going to be a secretary so why did I need typing? But when your mother makes you. Now I spend most of my day typing. Mom was quite forethoughted.

The IBM Selectrics were the preferred typewriters. The other ones were electric but had the moving carriage (and this is where we get the word "carriage return" for all of you young whippersnappers). The problems with those moving carriages is that that they slightly move the typewriter with every return. So every so often, you would have to reposition the typewriter. My speed was never good because my accuracy was bad. And if you make a mistake! With 3 carbon copies (this is where we get "CC" youngsters), spend the rest of the day erasing mistakes!!!!!

With the computer and backspace, my speed has improved. Mistakes aren't tragic any more. I love backspace and undo.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

My mother made me take typing in high school. I told her I wasn't going to be a secretary so why did I need typing? But when your mother makes you. Now I spend most of my day typing. Mom was quite forethoughted.

The IBM Selectrics were the preferred typewriters. The other ones were electric but had the moving carriage (and this is where we get the word "carriage return" for all of you young whippersnappers). The problems with those moving carriages is that that they slightly move the typewriter with every return. So every so often, you would have to reposition the typewriter. My speed was never good because my accuracy was bad. And if you make a mistake! With 3 carbon copies (this is where we get "CC" youngsters), spend the rest of the day erasing mistakes!!!!!

With the computer and backspace, my speed has improved. Mistakes aren't tragic any more. I love backspace and undo.
Arrgghh! The memories
! I remember back on my first job as a file clerk for Social Security Admin, I guess around 1979 or so, they needed someone to fill in as a typist one day. Apparently there was no one else they could spare? I could type, sort of, but this was before I had 20 years of data entry experience under my belt
There was this one form, I don't even remember what it was, but it had to be typed perfectly with no erasures!!! Some kind of legal thing. I think I spent most of a day on ONE FORM!!! I probably threw away 30 or 40 of the things. There is nothing quite as frustrating as FINALLY getting to the last line and then hitting a 'p' instead of an 'i' or some such. Thank goodness those days are gone
!!!

Cindy

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

Arrgghh! The memories
! I remember back on my first job as a file clerk for Social Security Admin, I guess around 1979 or so, they needed someone to fill in as a typist one day. Apparently there was no one else they could spare? I could type, sort of, but this was before I had 20 years of data entry experience under my belt
There was this one form, I don't even remember what it was, but it had to be typed perfectly with no erasures!!! Some kind of legal thing. I think I spent most of a day on ONE FORM!!! I probably threw away 30 or 40 of the things. There is nothing quite as frustrating as FINALLY getting to the last line and then hitting a 'p' instead of an 'i' or some such. Thank goodness those days are gone
!!!

Cindy
Now you've brought back the horrible memories of a job in high school (also 1979). I worked with a title company and had to type legal land descriptions which were like: Commencing at the West 1/4 corner of Section 13, Town 22 North, Range 3 East; thence North 80.00 degrees East 341.74 feet; thence South 18.22 degrees East 301.34 feet; thence...to the point of beginning. Some of these were full pages. If I got 10 words per minute, I was lucky.

Jana

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Now you've brought back the horrible memories of a job in high school (also 1979). I worked with a title company and had to type legal land descriptions which were like: Commencing at the West 1/4 corner of Section 13, Town 22 North, Range 3 East; thence North 80.00 degrees East 341.74 feet; thence South 18.22 degrees East 301.34 feet; thence...to the point of beginning. Some of these were full pages. If I got 10 words per minute, I was lucky.

Jana
OMG
! I remember those! I had to type those bloody things too when I worked for IRS (property seizures, yes, I'm an ex "fed"
)

Cindy

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Jana
I type those things up daily as a loan processor!

I learned to type in highschool on a manual typewriter. You didn't get to use the electric typewriters till Typing 2. Working on the computer in the bank helped me increase my speed. In college I was about 30 words a minute. When I type, I don't look at the keyboard, but I have to watch the words appear on the screen in order to spell correctly. If I look at the keys, I actually make worst mistakes.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

When I type, I don't look at the keyboard, but I have to watch the words appear on the screen in order to spell correctly. If I look at the keys, I actually make worst mistakes.
I have the same exact problem. In fact, when the computer is slow and not displaying everything right away, I basically type garbage. After all of this time, I should know to wait until I see characters again because I will just have to retype it.

Jana