how did my spayed rescue cat go wild again

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i dont get it i rescued a cat off the streets she was so happy to live in my house she would go outside but just sit on the front poarch never left my yard and now out of the blue she went missing for a week and came back

she ate and then demanded and freaked that i let her out again we let her out and now she just comes back once every few days and when she comes back its in the middle of the night to eeat a bit and she flips out and wants to leave again

i dont get why she is like this now we dont have any other new pets or anything could she be sensing something evil here or something? the other house cat is happy as can be here though?

also if i touch her she growls like she growls while she eats

my roomate gave her a bath over a month ago while i was away could that be it?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if she's sick or in pain (because of the growling when you touch her). Is it possible to get her to the vet?

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree. It sounds like something should be checked out by the vet. Perhaps she hurt herself along the line? Poor baby...

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She has just picked up survivial instincts while she was outside. It really doesn't take them long, especially if they have lived outside most of their lives. I don't believe she needs a vet- but I do hope she has been spayed before now?

luananeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

She has just picked up survivial instincts while she was outside. It really doesn't take them long, especially if they have lived outside most of their lives. I don't believe she needs a vet- but I do hope she has been spayed before now?
That would be my guess as well. Maybe the bath was the initial thing that made her go run off for a bit, and then once out there she reverted back to her feral instincts. Your cat may hate it, but in my experience the best way to get her to relearn her good habits is to keep her inside and not let her go back to where her survival instincts are reinforced. This transition period unfortunately will not be easy, as she'll be frustrated at not being allowed outside and may act out. You can ease this by building some sort of outdoor kitty enclosure that she can go out into when she wants outside, but can't go running off. Even one of those screened window boxes will help. Just some place that she can go to get the outside smells.

Definitely have her see a vet just to be sure about the growling thing to make sure she's not hiding some pain or whatever, but I suspect they wont find anything. If they don't, tell her NO when she growls and ignore her until she calms down. If she's being good, praise her and give a little treat. Just keep at it and be patient, and she should slowly get used to being an indoor kitty again. Just make sure you don't let her back outside where she can run off again, or else you may end up going through this all over again.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, I see you had spayed in your title. It was late and I was tired when I posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
another issue is i have my big siamese rescue who loves to stay in and only goes outside to sit under a tree or something well the siamese sleeps in my room at night so when i shut the door to keep my other cat in they fight

they use to LOVE each other and act like sisters now if my siamese goes near my other cat while my other cat wants out the red headed cat gets angry and very loud and pissed off

shes red headed so she has always growled when she ate and always had a very fiery temper but now its gotten even worse i wanted to pick the burrs out of her tail and she hissed and smacked me but i still did it anyway so now at least she is bur free and clean again i cut out all the burs and brushed her while feeding her tuna but as soon as tuna was over she demanded to be let out and started lashing out at the tother cat

the siamese is not scared of her more amused that her sister is acting like this