How did my kitten get this color??

seulf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy Indy is an extremely odd color...! The rest of his litter were tuxedo kittens, and I think he got some influence from it as well. However, his main body color is a deep chocolate brown... And he has slightly darker stripes in his fur. o_O

Any idea on what this color is called, and what colors his parents possibly could have been?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

seulf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I've looked at the photo from two different monitors and he looks like a Black & White to me.
I'm sorry, it is extremely hard to get a good picture of him. It shows best when he is sitting directly in the sun... I wish I had kept his Petfinder picture, that was the best picture of him that i've seen.

The only other good picture I have of him is when he was a kitten, and it still doesn't quite show how brown he is... I will try to get him into the sun tomorrow and get a proper picture to put here.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once in awhile you get a cat that has really weird genetics. Its possible the kitten could have a sable or chocolate cat in the background. Chocolate is recessive. A friend that breeds Cornish had a chocolate rex born and had to go back 8 generations to find out that there was a chocolate rex on both sides (mom and dad). It took that long for the gene to "surface".

He could have Havana Brown or Chestnut Oriental in the background. The nose leather does look like the same color you would find on those breeds.

He would be a chocolate & white bicolor. Just be sure he's neutered and not bred. Even if you are tempted!

seulf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Once in awhile you get a cat that has really weird genetics. Its possible the kitten could have a sable or chocolate cat in the background. Chocolate is recessive. A friend that breeds Cornish had a chocolate rex born and had to go back 8 generations to find out that there was a chocolate rex on both sides (mom and dad). It took that long for the gene to "surface".

He could have Havana Brown or Chestnut Oriental in the background. The nose leather does look like the same color you would find on those breeds.

He would be a chocolate & white bicolor. Just be sure he's neutered and not bred. Even if you are tempted!
Oh yes, he has never been bred, and is already neutered! All of our fur-kids are, not just to remove the chance of accidental breeding, but to help improve their moods and health as well.

We do think he's got some sort of oriental cat in his lines, he's got that angled face and sleek body and reeeeally long tail. So I bet that's it! It's nice to have a name to put to his color!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It says on his 'cat profile' that he's an American Shorthair? That can't be correct?
I also think he looks like chocolate & white bi-color. I love how he has just a little bit of white in his front paws, too cute!

seulf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

It says on his 'cat profile' that he's an American Shorthair? That can't be correct?
I also think he looks like chocolate & white bi-color. I love how he has just a little bit of white in his front paws, too cute!
I am silly and missed the Domestic Short Hair option. He is definitely a mix of some kind. :p

He is absolutely gorgeous, and he knows it!

seulf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really goofed up with their breeds, didn't I?
I fixed all three, they are definitely Domestic Shorthairs, NOT American Shorthairs.