How could someone do this to our cat?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

That's so awful, i'm so sorry

And as for the Amish people, so much for them being worshippers of God to do things like that to Gods creatures!
Ditto, I had to post on this again this morning. After reading about that last night, I really had a hard time sleeping thinking that this is what the Amish are doing to innocent little kittens/cats, I had no idea that is what they do. WHY are people so cruel and heartless? It boggles my brain. Why do the Amish have to do that, the suffering and pain those kittens must endure. How can the community of people stand back and do nothing?? It is terrible torture. Makes me absolutely sick.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Gandalf and I honestly did not know the Amish were so mean to animals. I'm just so glad I don't live anywhere near them, those who do, please keep your kits indoors at all times.

You were wonderful to try to help this poor kitty, you will be rewarded someday.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sad ending. Poor Gandalf.
Again I have to leave out my honest opinion of what should be done to the people who did this. The inbreeding has clearly damaged some Amish brains..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words. They mean a lot.

Going to work today was so hard for us. DH said he kept thinking about poor Gandalf all day, and also what he'd do to the scum that tortured him, if he could find them. I spent all day trying not to cry in my cubicle, and my co-workers were so kind to me--they knew about Gandalf, and as I had emailed one of them about his death last night, she had told them about that, too, so I got hugs all around when I got in. I just keep thinking about that poor, sweet, innocent cat. I'm so angry, and frustrated today.I try to console myself what my co-workers said: think about all of the animals who we've saved in the 6 years we've lived here. (I've had as many as 10 cats at one time; down to 9 now, not counting Gandalf, and all were abused and strays), but it still isn't helping me get over Gandy.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry Gandalf died. I'm very glad that you took him in. Even though he didn't live long with you, because of you, he got to know kindness and love.

I wish people who harmed animals and children, would have the exact same thing done to them!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goonie

i'm so sorry.

i had no idea that Amish people were like that.
Me too. I always thought the Amish were supposed to be a pure, simple, God fearing group. Now that I read your post, I know better.

R.I.P. poor little Gandalf, you never did anything to deserve such horrible treatment!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you again, everyone. Even though I feel a bit better today, now the anger is rising to the surface; I had suppressed it, knowing I had to concentrate on trying to save Gandalf. It's difficult to deal with. So frustrating.

I've lived near Amish country all of my life. Until a few years ago, I knew nothing about the animal abuse cases. Apparently, according to our friend, the majority of the abuse cases in our area are perpetrated by the Amish. Of course, every group of people has good/bad citizens, and my intent wasn't to single out the Amish in my original post--actually, it really doesn't matter who hurt Gandalf, but I must admit, I am having trouble reconciling the ideas of "godliness" and "piety" of a group of people who apparently abuse their farm animals and pets quite often.

The only good thing to come of this is that I finally had the idea of keeping a stray cat kit around, and have started buying things for it. As we seem to encounter strays about every year, it makes sense--those phone calls come out of the blue, when I'm at work. If I keep a kit of basics, I won't need to make a frantic trip to the store, knowing I also have to get home to spend over an hour disinfecting the quarantine room (I have 3 FeLV+ cats who have the run of that room. Actually, I think they shed the virus long ago, but better safe than sorry).CVS had fleece throws 4/10, and cats love those--and cheap enough to trash afterwards, should the cat be diseased. Add to that cheap bath towels, new water/food bowls, litter box, eye-dropper, etc. I intend to be ready the next time we get a phone call.

I plan to post a tribute to Gandalf on Rainbow Bridge in the next few days. At least I could do that for him..if nothing else.

His little face, with the crusted-shut eyes, will haunt me forever.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't quote statistics but when I spoke to a representative of Alley Cat Allies he told me that he noticed that the more rural the area people live in, there is more animal abuse. The less access to modern facilities, the more animals suffer.
It's sad.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I just posted a tribute to Gandalf in the Rainbow Bridge area of the forum.

We really miss him. It was one week yesterday since he died. And some of my anger bled over into my tribute, I apologize up front for this, should it upset anyone. I hope God judges the person who did this to Gandalf, especially as the law probably won't do much.