How cold is too cold for my kitties?

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I guess true love really CAN keep you warm at night!

It DEFINITELY can... whether it's the cat, dog or my boy, I stay warm!! (so true of all of them - for some reason, they're all heat machines, including the BF... and without them, I freeze at nite!)

But I'm sure they'll apreciate their new fort when youre not home!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes -- I've been reheating the rice before I leave the house, because they do go in there when I'm gone.

Last night was particularly cold, even with the space heater, and my babies finally let me snuggle them in under the blankets, so that's good. I never cease to be amazed at what good companions they are... they deserve so much better than I'm able to give them right now. But I'm working on it...

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
tips on making kitty bed / blankets

i make DIY bed and blankets for my cat as those bought in the store r way too expensive and usually not washable.

for the blankets, i go to frabic stores and buy small piece of frabics..usually it's very cheap as they r odds and ends of stuff...fleece work best as it's soft, warm, washable and it doesn't have loose ends, so i could jsut cut it and use it, no need to sew the seam.

and then i make my DIY kitty bed by cutting a big cardbox to the right height, and put in several pieces of fleece so it's soft and comfy for my kitty. and i wash those fleece every week to keep it clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night, the temperature got down near freezing -- low enough that the space heater could make the air less cold... but not warm at all. Clyde and Pearl tucked in close to me, allowed me to put my arm around them and bring the blankets up over us, and then lay there looking at me for the longest time. I think they were saying, "Aren't you going to do something about this?"

It was so cold that I had to consciously keep my teeth from chattering, and I can't put them through that anymore. It's supposed to get down to 29 degrees Fahrenheit tonight, and there's possible snow coming tomorrow... so I'm going to take the kitties to my folks' house and spend the nights with them there in the spare room until my furnace can be fixed.

My babies will be alarmed, I know... but better a nervous kitty than a frozen one. So... thank you all for your advice and moral support -- and you can rest assured that my kitties won't be cold anymore.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Last night, the temperature got down near freezing -- low enough that the space heater could make the air less cold... but not warm at all. Clyde and Pearl tucked in close to me, allowed me to put my arm around them and bring the blankets up over us, and then lay there looking at me for the longest time. I think they were saying, "Aren't you going to do something about this?"

It was so cold that I had to consciously keep my teeth from chattering, and I can't put them through that anymore. It's supposed to get down to 29 degrees Fahrenheit tonight, and there's possible snow coming tomorrow... so I'm going to take the kitties to my folks' house and spend the nights with them there in the spare room until my furnace can be fixed.

My babies will be alarmed, I know... but better a nervous kitty than a frozen one. So... thank you all for your advice and moral support -- and you can rest assured that my kitties won't be cold anymore.
Aw, I'm sorry you had such a rough night! I can only imagine as it's 27F here in the middle of the day and I wouldn't dream of having no heat here at night! Good thing you're able to spend the night at your parents'! Your kitties will thank you just for being warm and will get over the shock of being somewhere new....