How close are you to your family?

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm really close to my mom - she lives thousands of kms away, so I only get to see her maybe four or five times a year, but we stay close over the phone and stuff. My step-dad, who lives with my mom, is okay - I can tolerate him, but there's really absolutely no relationship between us other than politeness and small talk - I strongly disagree with a lot of his behaviour, with the way he chose to raise his children and the way he relates to them now, and with his politics, so I don't think I could ever be remotely close with him. Despise his kids, my step-siblings, and try to have as little contact with them as possible.

I am estranged from my sperm-donor, who was very emotionally/verbally abusive to me growing up (when he actually remembered I existed; otherwise he was ignoring me completely), and very emotionally/verbally/physically abusive to my mother, in front of me, no less - he left when I was 11, good riddance. I will never, ever speak to him again.

Very sporadic contact with my father's father (his mother is dead) - I write to him occasionally (he lives quite far away), but he's an alcoholic, and also abusive (never has been to me, but that's because I've spent barely any time with him in my life), so I wouldn't dream of spending time with him. Will never, ever have any contact with my father's brother, who IMO is a POS (for example, he offered my mother an exorbitant amount of money to divorce my father and not have any further contact with him, or bother him to have any further contact with me, either, when I was a baby - nice, eh?).

Sporadic contact with my maternal grandmother - was totally estranged from her for five or six years before she re-initiated contact. No contact at all with my maternal grandfather or the rest of my maternal family (aunts, uncles, cousins) - they are the most negative, miserable, angry, mean people I have ever known, and I just do not need that kind of energy in my life.

milopixie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put other. The only members of my family that I'm particulary close to are my sister and my niece and nephew (that was after about 6 years of not seeing them - not of my choice). My mom & I can get along sometimes, but that's not often especially if my brother is around which he usually is since he's never moved out of the house and he's never had a job (28 years old!!!!!). I don't get along with him at all and try to not speak to or see him as much as humanly possible. My sister doesn't speak to either of them at all. She & I are the "bad ones" though truthfully we were Daddy's girls at it's all gone downhill since he passed away. I don't really see the extended family to often at all either, the last time was months ago for a funeral. Though I do have a couple cousins that I really wished I spoke to and saw more often. Sadly all of my grandparents passed away either before I was born or when I was very little (I think 2) and I didn't get to know any of them.

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put that I'm closer to my inlaws, but I'm not married, however me and bf tend to spend a LOT of time with his extended family and very little with mine. We see our parents a lot though, but as far as grandmothers, aunts and uncles and stuff I see mine on holidays only for the most part. I think it sucks because they are all good people and have no ill will between us, and we all live in generally close proximity except for a couple people. I don't know why but I am emotionally unavailable. Always have been

But my bf is very close with his grandmother and aunts and he'll just stop over to see them without calling and stuff, it's weird. I only see mine when basically forced or at least binded by obligation. Again, I would like to but I can't open up.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I try to see my mom at least once a week, two tops. She lives an hours drive from me. My beloved father is passed.
I am very close to my sister Carol, but only see her maybe once a month. My other siblings I am close to also, but see them at functions, etc.

As for Jerry's side, we see his mom and her husband once every two-three weeks. His brother and wife live around the corner, but we see them maybe once a month. I tend to be a loner, and Jerry is VERY busy with work and the fire dept.