How Close and Cuddly Do You Get With Your Cats?

Is the water glass safe?

• Yes! Why wouldn't it be?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends on how thirsty I am

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • No, that's gross.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your answer is in another castle.

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

mildlyironic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The twins, Artemis and Apollo, have been doing great on raw so far. They're also insatiably curious and sweet, and now - rather than worry about their health - I'd like to get some thoughts about my own.

If your raw-foodie cat drinks water out of your water glass, do you still drink the water?

Thanks for your thoughts!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn't the raw that bothers me.  It's the licking feet and butt that bothers me.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eww, I would never share my food or drink with the cats for the same reasons @peaches08 listed. Butt licking and bacteria nasties. Cat saliva is pretty nasty. If a cat bite can land me in the hospital, it doesn't make sharing anything I eat with them any more appealing. I don't even like when my cats lick my skin - Mo is super affectionate and licks people all over when he tries to wake us up (I woke up to him trying to lick my hair the other day), and he licks wood and plastic and stuff too... when he comes to me, I push him away.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a good question! I would not drink the water if my cat got a sip, no. I do give them kisses on the lips though! I don't let them kiss me back but if I know I can sneak a kiss in without them trying to lick me, ill do it. (maybe not RIGHT after they eat their raw food but a little later and im not worried)

Now I have been thinking about transitioning to partial whole prey (mice specifically) and I've been watching some YouTube videos of cats being fed defrosted feeder mice and it looks pretty gross and messy. If I did end up getting my cats to eat F/T feeder mice I don't think I could do the kisses on the lips anymore.

Hopefully roguethecat roguethecat chimes in because I know she feeds her cats F/T mice and I would be interested to know how cute and cuddly she gets with her cats!

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it makes any difference whether it's a raw-fed cat or a cat who eats cooked foods! Cat food is nasty, I would probably rather share with a raw-fed cat. Anyway, I will usually finish my water if a cat drinks from it, or continue eating my food even if a cat tastes it. But I figured I'm beyond hope anyway :lol3:.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a good question! I would not drink the water if my cat got a sip, no. I do give them kisses on the lips though! I don't let them kiss me back but if I know I can sneak a kiss in without them trying to lick me, ill do it. (maybe not RIGHT after they eat their raw food but a little later and im not worried)

Hopefully @roguethecat chimes in because I know she feeds her cats F/T mice and I would be interested to know how cute and cuddly she gets with her cats!
ha! no. I wouldn't drink the water. But then I have the no-feet-on-my-table rule.

That said, the Rogue will try to eat any leafy vegetable that drops out of my shopping bag and I'll rinse and eat it (who knows who had their snouts in there before I bought it, anyway?).

Besides that, they lick me all the time (no, I'm not that dirty!
) and on occasion nip my nose. I'm more skittish about having my niece kiss me these days because she's having a constant cold from swimming lessons (and once that one gets the notion I don't like it, she insists
)

can't not get cute with them. They're cute.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think it makes any difference whether it's a raw-fed cat or a cat who eats cooked foods! Cat food is nasty, I would probably rather share with a raw-fed cat. Anyway, I will usually finish my water if a cat drinks from it, or continue eating my food even if a cat tastes it. But I figured I'm beyond hope anyway :lol3:.
:yeah: I have no qualms about finishing my water or eating my food if a cat had some of it. I do try to prevent them from eating my food, it's not good for them, being seasoned or whatever. I KNOW I'm ingesting cat hair here and there, and they lick that.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a bait cup for mine, because he's a jerk and won't drink out of his bowl, only from my cup. When he comes near, I'll offer him the bait cup so I can save my cup from his bossy licking.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it makes any difference whether it's a raw-fed cat or a cat who eats cooked foods! Cat food is nasty, I would probably rather share with a raw-fed cat. Anyway, I will usually finish my water if a cat drinks from it, or continue eating my food even if a cat tastes it. But I figured I'm beyond hope anyway
Same here, although my cats aren't raw fed.  I used to think ewww when I'd see someone eating after their pet, but now I'm like whatever.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no problems with my cats tasting my food or drinking from my glass. When blighty was a baby he used to drink my orange juice ! It was a daily thing
Not just a lap but a drink. I didn't stop him but I did wonder about it. As he got a little older he stopped. He comes running as soon as food is put on the table. My other cat is not that interested in our food

engineereagan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While my cat insist on licking my forehead and head she only sniffs my food, but never eats or drinks it. I make the joke she is checking it out for me.