How can I train my kitten to stay off the counter?

emmilyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is just about five months old and we have just moved into a new apartment. When he was with me at my parents house he was fine - no jumping up on the counters. But I can't keep him off of them at my apartment! I wouldn't have a problem with it, but my boyfriend does not like it and he has tried to jump up on the stove while it's on a few times so I'd like to train him to stay off the counters and tables completely.

Any advice? I've tried pushing him down and saying no whenever I see him up there but it's not working!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
We have an article on this which points out all the things that don't work as well as what does.

Basically making the surface something that cats don't like is the best way to go about it. It doesn't have to stay there.. once your cat is discouraged from doing it, they normally just stay off. The article explains it all in detail.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kitten is just about five months old and we have just moved into a new apartment. When he was with me at my parents house he was fine - no jumping up on the counters. But I can't keep him off of them at my apartment! I wouldn't have a problem with it, but my boyfriend does not like it and he has tried to jump up on the stove while it's on a few times so I'd like to train him to stay off the counters and tables completely.

Any advice? I've tried pushing him down and saying no whenever I see him up there but it's not working!
The best reviewed product for this issue is linked below.  It has an adjustable motion sensor that first causes a whistle to blow, and if the cat approaches closer squirts some compressed air. Once the cat is trained you can set it to whistle only which at that point is usually all you need to remind the cat to stay away.

http://www.thecatsite.com/products/contech-stayaway-motion-activated-pet-deterrent

Last edited by a moderator:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

The best reviewed product for this issue is linked below.  It has an adjustable motion sensor that first causes a whistle to blow, and if the cat approaches closer squirts some compressed air. Once the cat is trained you can set it to whistle only which at that point is usually all you need to remind the cat to stay away.

http://www.thecatsite.com/products/contech-stayaway-motion-activated-pet-deterrent
As a rule of thumb, it's actually better to avoid loud noises and compressed air. Too scary IMO, especially for the more sensitive cats. It's why the article offers some alternatives which are not as traumatic. It could be a good product, if "softer" alternatives fail and you know you have a cat that's not very timid or easy to scare.

jamd1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't read the article, but we used tin foil on the counters until she decided she didn't like it....

mysticdragon72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't read the articles either but I had the exact same issue with my two cats.  What worked for me was duct tape laid sticky side up on the counters.  All I did was rip small pieces off the roll and lay them around all the surfaces I didn't want the cats on... the stove, counter and tables/chairs.  They'll only jump up on them a few times before getting the duct tape off their feet bothers them enough to make them stop.  I have one very stubborn cat and it took her a week of ripping out her fur from her paws to remove the duct tape for her to finally figure out that jumping up on the counters didn't feel good.

On another note though I was told by a cat behaviorist that cats like to be up high and that's one reason they jump up on things... so I'd suggest giving them something they can jump up on so they can be up high like a cat tree or a shelf that they can get to safely.

HTH

ttfn

MD