How can I tell when my cat is going into labor?

fouminou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is going to have her kittens in the next week or two and I don't know how to tell when she is going into labor,and when she is ready to give birth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fouminou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the thread!  My cat is an outside cat so I can't keep my eye on her all the time.

But I'm going to start locking her up at nights. So if she has her kittens in the middle of the night nothing will get them.

She had one litter of kittens last year. She had them in July in the middle of the night so I had no way to tell that she was in labor.  Maybe she will have them in the middle of the day this time!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Locking her in at night is definitely a good idea. After this litter, I suggest you get her spayed so she (and you ;) ) don't have to go through t his again. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are extremely lucky, my cat had three litters in one year, 17 kittens in all! Needless to say I had 'fertile Mertle' spayed!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did just wanted to add that she was NOT my cat at first, a poor stray that someone had dumped and I thought at first was the neighbors, but after all those kittens I HAD to do something. She became my cat after that. One set of kittens were only 4 weeks old when she got pregnant again, so be careful. Better yet, DON'T let her out and bring her in ASAP after the kittens are weaned, it's not a good life to be pregnant and raising kittens all the time.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are extremely lucky, my cat had three litters in one year, 17 kittens in all! Needless to say I had 'fertile Mertle' spayed!
Aw, give me a break! Poor girl!    [edit, I saw now your nextcoming comment too  :)  ]

Yeah, spaying / neutering is the trick for all, if you arent an active, serious breeder. And no serious breeder would never ever do more than thrice in two years. Typically one a year.   Possibly two in a year, if very small litters.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
FouMinou, I would suggest you lock her in inside 24/7 from now. Safest and best so.

Unless she is shrieking and begging to go out - as you dont want her to be high stressed either...

Prepare some birthing nests in some nice, calm, not disturbed part of the house, so she sees them and recognizes.  And nice laying places, and toys, so she wants to stay inside...

Is she used to use a litter inside?  Many outgoing cats do all theirs outside...

If no, begin to train her to do her inside.

And as the others said, please plan on spaying her when everyting is said and done, and the kittens more or less weaned. Usually when the spaying of moms is done the kittens are about 8 weeks.

Good luck!

fouminou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I am going to get her spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned. I was going to get her and her 6 kittens from last year Spayed/Nuetered.  I just did not do it in time.
All of her Kittens are going to be Spayed and Nuetered in May.

And maybe she will to if she can.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All of her Kittens are going to be Spayed and Nuetered in May.

And maybe she will to if she can.
Why are you in doubt she can be spayed?  As this IS your wish and will?

fouminou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If Lucy (That's my cats name) has her kittens this week or next week. then I will be able to send her with the other cats to get Spayed.

But is she does not give birth to them this week or the next I will half to wait to get her spayed.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to your vet about her - it is possible to spay nursing mothers and they can continue to suckle their kittens. When doing this it is better to make the incision in the side of the cat (this is usual in the UK anyway) rather than up the belly as is done in most places. But it will depend on whether the vet is familiar with this procedure and how the kittens and mom are doing.