How can I Tell how far along in pregnancy my cat is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Again? Why is your mom letting her out?
i dont know , Cheshire waits at the door in the morning she says. She usually comes back in the afernoon its now 11:45pm I'm so worried , I just went looking for her.r no results.

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old are you exactly? Your Mum really needs to stop letting her out, she could be endangering the kittens lives as well as the life of your cat. When she comes back is there anyway you could lock her in your room so that your Mum can't keep letting her out? It's strange that she's letting her out when she knows that she's near to giving birth, maybe she isn't too keen on the thought of having kittens to look after, too? :-/ I hope she comes back soon, you could try shaking a bag of cat food to see if she comes back? Or ask your neighbours to keep a look out for her and catch her if they can. Though I don't see how you will be able to find the kittens if she DOES have them outside. This is a really big problem.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to keep your cat somewhere safe until she has delivered, given birth, and been spayed. Her health, and that of her kittens, is truly in jeopardy otherwise.

kittylyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd let everyone know shes inside now. I could try locking her in my room. And yes , my mom isn't really worried about the cat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please keep her in your room, regardless of her meowing to go out. Put her food, water, and litter in there. I thought we already discussed the litter situation. You will not be able to help her if she's outside, and we can't help you either if she's outside.

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take your cat to the vet!!!!!
She obviously can't take her cat to the vet seeing as her parents don't seem to be worried about the animal themselves. I think all we can do at the moment is support her and help her out as much as we can!!

@OP, make sure you do your best to keep your cat in the room, set up another nesting box in the corner of the room. Under the bed might be a bit awkward seeing how you won't be able to get under there to see if the kittens are alright. It will be difficult to intervene should anything go wrong. Set the nesting box in the corner instead. You can use towels, and even add in a few of Mum's favourite toys.

Regarding when the kittens come, you will need some KMR on hand just in case any get abandoned. Get the Royal Canin one if you can. If not, goats milk will suffice. Do NOT use cows milk! You can also do some research on homemade kitten milk, though this must only be used for a short amount of time. Make sure you get some scales too, to weigh the kittens and make sure you have no runts and that they all gain weight like they should (about 10g a day). Monitor Mum too. For sore nipples, diarrhea etc.

You must also let her eat as much as she is. Could it be possible that she's going outside to search for food? How many times a day do you feed her? Make sure kibble is available 24/7 - though I personally do not like using kibble for cats, canned food would be best in this situation so she stays hydrated! Give her plenty of water too, change it every day, or every 12 hours. You can also give her yogurt which is good for her stomach (make sure that it's plain and natural, no added flavours or preservatives etc.). You can give her raw chicken also, if she will eat it, it's got plenty of protein and water and nutrients which she will need! Liver is also good (about 2 times a week, maybe less) You can also add egg yolk (boiled or uncooked) into her diet. DON'T add in any raw egg white, this is very bad for cats! Heart, and organs are good also, you can even give her some raw bones to chew on :-) Try feeding her lots of different things and see what she likes! Food should be available all the time, and replace it when it's soiled. Good luck with your kittens and the Mum! I hope things work out for you!

kittylyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She obviously can't take her cat to the vet seeing as her parents don't seem to be worried about the animal themselves. I think all we can do at the moment is support her and help her out as much as we can!!

@OP, make sure you do your best to keep your cat in the room, set up another nesting box in the corner of the room. Under the bed might be a bit awkward seeing how you won't be able to get under there to see if the kittens are alright. It will be difficult to intervene should anything go wrong. Set the nesting box in the corner instead. You can use towels, and even add in a few of Mum's favourite toys.

Regarding when the kittens come, you will need some KMR on hand just in case any get abandoned. Get the Royal Canin one if you can. If not, goats milk will suffice. Do NOT use cows milk! You can also do some research on homemade kitten milk, though this must only be used for a short amount of time. Make sure you get some scales too, to weigh the kittens and make sure you have no runts and that they all gain weight like they should (about 10g a day). Monitor Mum too. For sore nipples, diarrhea etc.

You must also let her eat as much as she is. Could it be possible that she's going outside to search for food? How many times a day do you feed her? Make sure kibble is available 24/7 - though I personally do not like using kibble for cats, canned food would be best in this situation so she stays hydrated! Give her plenty of water too, change it every day, or every 12 hours. You can also give her yogurt which is good for her stomach (make sure that it's plain and natural, no added flavours or preservatives etc.). You can give her raw chicken also, if she will eat it, it's got plenty of protein and water and nutrients which she will need! Liver is also good (about 2 times a week, maybe less) You can also add egg yolk (boiled or uncooked) into her diet. DON'T add in any raw egg white, this is very bad for cats! Heart, and organs are good also, you can even give her some raw bones to chew on :-) Try feeding her lots of different things and see what she likes! Food should be available all the time, and replace it when it's soiled. Good luck with your kittens and the Mum! I hope things work out for you!
Thank you so much for the support , it was really helpful! She gave birth this morning to three healthy kits.

kittylyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the "congrats"!We havent gotten their weights yet. But seems like their healthy. theres 2 oranges and 1 tortoise shell. But the mom occasionly has blood in her area but she licks it away. Is this normal? 

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it's normal spotting after giving birth. It can last up to a week. It should get less and less. [emoji]128522[/emoji]