How can I teach my 3 month old kitten not to bite.

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've usually adopted adult cats so teaching them not to bite wasn't an issue.  My first cat was a kitten but I don't remember her biting.  She was more of a scratcher and that was over 30 years ago.   I just adopted this 3 month kitten a week ago and he loves to attack my skin and bit.  He does it in a playful way but I want to teach not to bite but have no idea how to start.  I was putting him down when he started or ignoring him if he started to do it but that hasn't had any effect. I've tried playing with him for an hour or more at a time but he never seems to wear out and then the minute I try to pet him starts biting and clawing in play.  He doesn't have claws yet or isn't extending them yet so that isn't an issue but could come into play later.   I bought another cat tower (I have 3) and more toys but again to no effect.  Any suggestions.  I don't want him growing up biting.   There is an older cat in the household she is totally docile never bites or scratches except for the toys or scratch posts.  Will he just learn by her example do you think?

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When ours were kittens (all adopted as older kittens, 4-6 months) we would always have a "Kong Kickeroo" in our hands when they were in rowdy play mood.  When they wanted to attack something we handed it to them and they went to town wrestling, scratching, biting, bunny kicking.  They got out so much "aggression" that way and left our hands alone.  Here is the "kickeroo" we used.  They sell them at petsmart and other stuffed animals or just two socks rolled up together might work....

http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind..._source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will try that thanks.  I've been trying a balled up pair of socks in the mean time but it's not working that great.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that I would actually touch their belly with the kickeroo, triggering their wrestling instinct....just to get them going with it.  That wasn't always necessary but would sometimes help get them interested.

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What works for me is:

- saying "NO!" in a firm, loud tone

- stop playing with her

- blowing a puff of air in her face

And in more severe cases:

- gently depositing her on the hallway and out of my room for the extent of ten minutes until she meows to let her back in, now significantly more quiet and tranquil 

Personally, I don't think redirecting her to other toys would do any good in my case. She will always associate playing with reward , so if I reward her with a play session after she tries to bite me, where will that get us?

ETA: I never play with my cat using my bare hands. Never, no matter how cute she mighty get. I also warn others not to do so. Often people have the impression that grabbing the kitty's nose is cute or something...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been saying no and placing him on the floor or away from me when he starts biting which is most of the time I try to pet him or when he comes over for attention.   This morning was particularly bad as he will dig his way under my pillow to find my arm then start to bite.  It's more annoying really than anything he's never broken the skin it's more of nip then a bite.   This morning after he was placed on the floor several times he placed himself behind my head and leaned there for and was good for a little bit of time just not that long before jumping over me and starting on the fingers.   He's sure determined I'll give him that..lol

I may have to consider locking him out of the bedroom so I can sleep but then the other cat get really gets upset and starts yawling....it's a no win senerio.

Last edited:

maggiesvineyard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have this same exact situation with my new 4 month old kitten and I would LOVE to know the answer, as well!!! I've been trying to have play time with him in an attempt to wear him out, but as you've experienced, you could be playing all day (we're dealing with kitten after all!) 

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitten hasn't grown out of it yet, she now 'bites' at my legs as well as toes.

It's pretty irritating when I'm trying to sleep but just a little nip

I think she wants me to play or pet her, picking her up seems to get her purring real loud real quick. (sort of, I'll teach you to ignore me
)

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a similar problem recently with a 12 week old. Beans is now almost 16 weeks. Whoever mentioned not playing with them with your hands, bravo. Most owners are not disciplined enough to do that. This doesn't mean you can never touch them. In Beans case I only try to pet her when she's in a docile or sleepy state. If I try and touch her other times and she tries to bite, I pull my hand away slowly and put it behind my back while saying NO. If you move too fast this will only entice them to "hunt", and go after the fast moving object (Your hand).

As far as what to do with all of that "kitten energy"? String toys, and laser pointers are your best friend as far as tiring out a tiny kitty. Both of my cats love feathers so they will chase a string with feathers to the end of the earth. I run beans with both the laser and string toys until she starts to pant like a dog. Then I run her a little more. They are always more docile when you drain the crazies with exercise.

You want to make sure your NO is a different tone than when you normally speak to her. No should sound like NO!. You don't have to scream either.

Also, with Beans positive reinforcement has been huge. When she does what she's supposed to do. IE uses her scratching posts, doesn't bite me when I pet her, plays with her toys, etc. I make sure to praise her endlessly. The tone for your good kitty, or good girl should be very Cheerful. With this paradigm she will be able to easily see what she does right and wrong.

Remember that patience and persistence are your friends. They are young and will act out at times. It's normal. Kitten proof your home so they can't tear up your stuff. You need, to make sure you are consistent with your discipline. Don't let them get away with something today and tell them NO tomorrow.

I learned most of this stuff thanks to caring members here.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh as far as the Kong Kickeroos go, I bought 2 recently due to their good review on here and on Amazon. Both Oksana (1 yr old) and Beans loved them bit the catnip in them riled beans up to the point that I had to take them away. Oksana loved them btw.

All cats are different and catnip affects about 50% many diff ways. The rest aren't affected at all by it.

tiffany matlock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a 2 month old kitten and he likes to bite and scratch  you. when you are walking around the house he has to go afrer yoour ankles and starts to bite you when you are sleeping. when you rub his belly he takes his 2 fornt paws wraps them around your arm then he tries to bite you. i have a 5year old son. how can i get this kitten to stop biting.