How can I reduce shedding?

sharcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Im new to this site but I also have a cat fur problem.

I have 3 cats at my house one and a half are mine and one and a half are my daughters, all have longish fur.

I am now engaged and have recently found out that my fiance has a problem with my cats, the cat fur is one issue and he has never had pets.

I have let him know that the cats are part of my family and we are a package deal. How can I reduce the car fur my cats shed? Please help.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Sharcat, welcome to TCS!

There are a number of things that can affect shedding - a high quality food, for instance, will often help reduce shedding.

From a grooming standpoint, I've found a Furminator (or slicker) brush once a week works well when my boys are having their Spring shed. Just make sure not to press too hard with the  brush and give them bald spots. There's a discussion about it here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/277230/furminator-anyone-have-one  if you're interested. If fur on the furniture is an issue, some people throw a blanket over the sofa when they're away so that the cats can lay on the blanket, then just roll the blanket up when they want to use the sofa.

Since shedding is something I'm sure most of us deal with, I'm sure others will be along soon with more ideas.

Good luck!

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I must agree with Ms. Freya on this. Food can make a big difference, especially if your kitties are fed grocery store kibble. I've seen cats on mainly a kibble diet, and they constantly shed so much and also have very dry skin. If you can, try feeding wet food from a pet store, with grain-free ingredients. The added moisture and less carbs in canned would certainly add more benefits to your cat's health, other than their coat quality.

I also use the furminator, but both my cats do not like it (slink away each time and hide under furniture), so I use better quality food to make shedding less of a problem. I have two DSH though, so it's not like they require much brushing like medium or long haired cats. However, after having tried both a slicker brush and Kong's Zoom Groom, I can honestly say that though a furminator is very costly, it is absolutely much more effective in reducing unwanted loose hairs, and even hairballs. My two cats are 10 & 11 months old and have never vomitted a hairball yet (touch wood).

Good luck with your kitties, may you find more helpful tips here! 

42cattier

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had read that during hot weather cats shed more, didn't notice it myself though.

I tried everything with shedding for long-haired cat, including Furminator, unless cat is healthy and in really good condition, nothing solves the problem, fur still will be everywhere and will need regular pick up.

This is a problem if fiance don't want pets...