How can I know?

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Emma is 3 years old. I would someday like to get another cat, However Emma has not been around other cats since she was a baby. We have a dog, She pretty much ignores him when he doesnt mess with her. I just do not want to adopt another cat and then find out she is aggressive with other cats. She is also indoor only though I don't know if that matters. 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Check with your local shelter and see if you can foster cats for them. That'll give you a "trial run" to see if Emma will accept another cat (be sure to follow the proper introductions), and at the same time you can help cats in need of a break from shelter while they wait for their forever homes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I do not know how well that would work. I plan to foster to adopt other species so I can find the right one ... but boyfriend would get too attached to a cat. I don't even know how to do proper intros for cats, we always just brought them home and let them work it out ( assuming no blood is drawn) 

Is there nothing else I can do? 

Also wouldnt fostering be stressful on the cat? It could potentially bond with my cat and dog and then be adopted. 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I plan to foster to adopt other species so I can find the right one ... but boyfriend would get too attached to a cat.
I'm confused by this part. Can you elaborate? Why is getting attached to a cat not work out?
 I don't even know how to do proper intros for cats, we always just brought them home and let them work it out ( assuming no blood is drawn) 
"Letting them work it out" only works to a certain extent. Guardians have to take an active role in their pets' introduction. Here's a great article that works for many people:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats
Also wouldnt fostering be stressful on the cat? It could potentially bond with my cat and dog and then be adopted. 
Possibly. In fact, that happens all the time. However, the alternative would be to stay in the shelter environment until they are adopted -- arguably less ideal than a nice, loving (although temporary) home. In many shelters due to space and financial constraints, cats are put in large cages. Shelters would love nothing more than to have a giant sanctuary where cats can roam free (and there are such shelters), but it is a trade-off to be able to save as many animals as they can.

When someone says their home is too small for a cat (or dog), I always tell them that any kind of home is always better than a cage in a shelter. Sure, we do things like rotate them into large rooms periodically, and take them out to play, but nothing beats a warm nice home.

On the flip side, some cats just don't do well in a shelter environment. They may be withdrawn, stressed out by the noise and activity, generally not putting on their best behavior. But once we place them in foster homes, they improve. They're with a loving family, they can roam around, have toys 24/7, get pets, and their behavior improves to the point where someone comes along and adopt them.

So when you foster, you are saving two animals - the one you are fostering (especially, as I mentioned, if they become more sociable and loving because of you), and the space you opened up at the shelter for another rescue.

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend is OCD ... if he likes the cat but it doesn't work out with Emma and Ryli it would be VERY hard on him. 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My boyfriend is OCD ... if he likes the cat but it doesn't work out with Emma and Ryli it would be VERY hard on him. 
Ouch, that's a tough one. I've seen lots of foster parents cry when their babies get adopted. It's a bittersweet farewell. He's definitely not alone, and he sounds like a very loving, good man.

I'd suggest not letting him see the fosters, but I think this is something you both have to discuss over. I still believe fostering is a great solution to finding out if your cat gets along well with others. You *could* do a quick check by asking the shelter if they would allow you to exchange an old blanket for one of their used, unwashed ones. That blanket or towel should be saturated with another cat's scent. Bring that towel/blanket home, and present it to Emma. If she shows curiosity, but no aggressiveness, you're probably fine.

However, it's not very reliable either. Lots of cats hiss/swat at first, but with proper introductions, they become best buddies. So even if Emma hisses at the towel, it doesn't mean she hates other cats. But that's all I can think of.

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Boyfriend and I live together. So him not seeing them might be hard. 

I wonder if I could just borrow someones cat lol. 

shellyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We went through something like this...we adopted two 3 year old cats from a shelter.  They said they had been in a home together...at the shelter they seemed ok with each other.  Got them home and they hated each other.  Sadly one of them kept trying to escape out open doors and finally succeeded. My husband saw her carried away by a coyote.  Even though the cats appeared to hate each other, the remaining cat became lonely - crying constantly.  We decided to adopt two kittens.  If she didn't get along with them then they would at least have each other.  She doesn't like these two either but seems happier and has stopped the constant crying.  The kittens had been really well socialized to be with humans, other cats and dogs.  You may not  know if your cat will like another cat until you try it.  And it might take a while for your cat to get used to it. I catch the three of them sitting on the bed together once and awhile now.

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is a brat and tries to run out all the time. Luckily when she succeeds she rarely leaves the yard. 

I did catch her hanging out with a torti in my neighbors yard a few weeks back. ( that cat is SNEAKY) 

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really just need to know her initial reaction. Heck I could catsit for a weekend and get what I need. I think anyway. I know over time reactions will change, but I am also familiar with body language and such to know if its real agression or a show

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really just need to know her initial reaction. Heck I could catsit for a weekend and get what I need. I think anyway. I know over time reactions will change, but I am also familiar with body language and such to know if its real agression or a show
Seems like a good middle ground. Can you find a friend who'd be willing to visit with their cat? 

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only know one person with a cat and hers is cat aggressive. But I am sure we can figure something out.

I wish the cats outside had their vaccines, that would be fairly easy. But emma being indoor only only has the appropriate vaccines for that.