How Can I Keep My Lunch Hot At Work With No Kitchen? Need Ideas.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Monday begins the staff room reno at work, which will take at least one month. We will have no access to (kitchen) water, nor a microwave, stove, etc. I always take something from home to heat up, and I can't afford to eat out every day. I assume we can't have a microwave in our office (technically, you aren't home appliances, such as space heaters, fans, etc.). I don't like cold cuts, or even cold meals. I can heat it up before leaving for work, but I have to be able to keep the meal warm for about 4 hours. I normally eat a pasta dish.

1. I could buy a Thermos, but I'm not in the mood for soup! My cube has been very hot for a month or so, with no relief in sight--and it's 90+F here the next week. The last thing I want is soup! I could buy a round Thermos for pasta--do these work well? Never had one!

2. I could make the odd chicken salad sandwich, but not every day. I have an insulated lunch bag to keep things cool, though.

Thank you for your ideas!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there are insulated bags. My mother uses one for cold groceries, but you can use them for hot things too.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little bit pricey but scroll down to read all the info. States it keeps food hot for 6 hours, and mostly good reviews.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the round thermos do work. Just make sure your food is super hot when you put it in. Or you could go with cold salads, chicken, wraps, or crackers and cheese plus veggies since it is so warm.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would still get a thermos, you can put more than just soup in them. Just bring a bowl or plate with you for ease of eating. Pasta dishes, chili, stir fry, risotto, pilaf, chicken fried rice...etc...I would assume that the round ones work fine though.
I love bringing pasta, potato or chick pea salads to work with me, especially in the summer when I don't want a hot meal. You can load them up with all kinds of ingredients so you feel like you've eaten a balanced meal.
You said no cold cuts, but what about tuna or egg salad sandwiches?
You could also make chicken Cesar or Greek wraps, I have made egg salad and tuna wraps also, just to change things up a bit.
Taco salads are great too!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son uses a "hot logic" mini portable food warmer out on the road.I think I got it for him at WalMart.com,but it plugs in,comes with a glass container,and his meal is warmed up in about an hour.It looks like an insulated food carrier,and he uses his all the time.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My son uses a "hot logic" mini portable food warmer out on the road.I think I got it for him at WalMart.com,but it plugs in,comes with a glass container,and his meal is warmed up in about an hour.It looks like an insulated food carrier,and he uses his all the time.
I was going to suggest this too. it comes in various sizes. There are reviews on Youtube. Rick Mamanna uses it on his channel and he has a discount code from the Hot Logic website. I think the code is rickm and I think the discount is 20%

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You would NOT believe the trouble I've today trying to by a stupid Thermos! Spent part of the day searching on my phone (we are no longer allowed to use the internet for personal usage, period. Trying to do this on my phone is annoying.) Went to one store after work, as their site said they had them. Nope. backtracked to WalMart. Bought one small and one larger stainless steel food ones. The store had no air conditioning, and it's 91F here today. I bought both, as they were the only ones of each type. They had similar ones, but only 2, and the tops were missing! Also bought what I thought was a n $8.97 coffee maker so I could boil water for ramen. Got home, after sweating off about 10 lbs. to find they charged me $19.98, so it goes back. Then, I have to return the blasted Thermoses, as they are defective. Have a Bed, Bath and Beyond near there. Site only has ones I don't want, and they are pricey. Went to eBay--found the perfect one at at great price, and free shipping. When I go to check out, I keep getting this message: "One or more sellers cannot accept payment right now." In the 20 years I used eBay, I have never had that happen.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches sound pretty good right now. :angryfire: