How can i keep my cat hydrated, as much as possible away from being dehydrated

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Cat has Hyperthyroidism , being treated for 5 years,tapezole daily,seeing a vet.

I feed her wet food as much as she will eat

I keep bowls of fresh water 24/7/365....different parts of the house

Anything else i can do?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's eating any dry food, cut that out entirely (unless she won't eat enough without some dry food). A diet of canned food only will provide most of her daily fluid needs. You can also add a bit of water to her canned food if she'll eat it that way. Some cats even like it better when it's a little soupy. Many cats like a water fountain, if that's financially possible. And you can boil a chicken and give her the broth.

But giving all wet food will help the most---kibble takes water to digest and adds no water to the diet so it's kind of a compounding effect.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Ask your vet about giving her unflavored Pedialyte as an adjunct to the other treatments she's getting.  

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could also learn how to give your cat subq fluids, if you ask your vet. I have never personally done it myself, but if I knew my cat tends to get dehydrated, I'd definitely be willing to learn how and stock supplies as needed. There are places online that sell specific items that you'll need, but getting some first-hand knowledge from the vet will probably be ideal.

Good luck, well wishes to your kitty.

Last edited:

pocho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about homemade bone broth or raw goat milk? I have also spoken to people who have great success with water fountain bowls. Some cats can't resist the moving water fun.

catmomjulia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been recovering from a UTI, to increase his water intake I added a tablespoon or two of water to his wet food, he didn't mind it at all. Maybe this would help you :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The easiest way is to add water to the canned food
How much water to add depends on the cat. Some cats will eat soupy food, others will only tolerate a spoonful or two in the food.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My Cat has Hyperthyroidism , being treated for 5 years,tapezole daily,seeing a vet.

I feed her wet food as much as she will eat

I keep bowls of fresh water 24/7/365....different parts of the house

Anything else i can do?
Adding water to can food is a good way  to add extra hydration .. How much depends on your cat ..

My 2 like lots of water in their food . They eat Fancy Feast Classics but I have to take one  3 oz can and add a full can of very hot water and split it between them . I do this twice a day .. They each  also get 1/4 cup of grain free low carb kibble

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One trick I use:

My cats have trained me to give them a treat every evening, usually a bit of fish. I add two or three ounces of water, which they happily drink to get to the fish.

They also like dairy foods (milk, cream cheese, yogurt) as treats, which all have a large amount of water content.

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also add water to canned food for my cats. I feed low carb canned. Their pee amount has increased. 

jofo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Guys, up to what age do you recommend to feed the cat with goat milk? I'm guessing you don't give your 15 year old cats milk. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Guys, up to what age do you recommend to feed the cat with goat milk? I'm guessing you don't give your 15 year old cats milk. 
Goats milk is usually used as a replacement for mother's milk with orphaned kittens or a kitten that isn't getting their fair share and needs to be fed in addition to nursing.  I don't think it is 'needed' past the kitten being fully weaned or doing well with regular food in the case of orphans.  Of course I don't think there would be any harm in the occasional treat if the kitty really likes it.