How can I increase Precious' appetite?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

avemaria02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Southern Indiana, United States of America
I've seen the can covers at most grocery stores incl. Walmart, in the pet food section.

If she wants play, then definitely play with her. Yes, play is a great stress reliever for cats.

The feeding guidelines listed the can are on the high side for most adult neutered cats. The general guideline is about 20 calories per pound of weight daily. So, if 9lbs is a good weight for her, then approximately 180 calories is what you want to feed her daily. Adjust up or down as necessary for hunger level, activity, weather, etc.

I wouldn't free feed. If you want to leave out a small measured amount (maybe a tablespoon) of dry a day as she gets used to eating the canned food on a schedule, ok, but don't leave out a huge amount.
Oh okay. Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it. That said, I cannot find the amount of calories on the cans of Friskies cat food. I know its the pate variety. Do you have any idea how many calories are in it? I am trying to figure out if 1 full can a day is enough for her or if she needs more.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe the pates have 150-180 calories per can. If the calorie count is not on the can, you can generally find it on their website.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably. Just watch her hunger level and weight. If all seems well, it's a good amount. If she seems hungry or is losing weight, you can increase slightly. If she doesn't finish her food or gains weight, you can decrease slightly. Just remember to rotate brands/flavors as much as you can.

avemaria02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably. Just watch her hunger level and weight. If all seems well, it's a good amount. If she seems hungry or is losing weight, you can increase slightly. If she doesn't finish her food or gains weight, you can decrease slightly. Just remember to rotate brands/flavors as much as you can.
Thank you for this advice. I really appreciate it. Yesterday she only ate half of her can of food but she had also had several treats. Thankfully she's still eating pretty well.

I did try again to get my representative payee to let me take her to the veterinarian again but it was futile again. They said to give her a week and if she's still not eating right then I can take her. Well, so far she is eating pretty well with the canned food so maybe the problem is solved.

avemaria02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the health issue that is going on with Precious is an ear infection. When I pet her she doesn't hardly want to rub her face on my hand because of her right ear. She is very careful to avoid any contact of her ear with my hand. She has chronic ear allergies and she is also prone to ear infections so it would not surprise me one bit if it isn't an ear infection. My veterinarian told me years ago to clean her ears out once a week with this solution but I can't. She DESPISES having that done. It makes her so mad that she'll try to attack me and she won't let me come near her for hours afterwards and so I don't do that. I'd rather not traumatize her. Thankfully she does not get infections a whole lot. It seems that she gets an infection about once every two years.

avemaria02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
During the 24 hour period from 5 AM EST Friday morning to 5 AM Saturday, Precious ate a whole can of food plus a few bites of dry food. Does this sound like a good amount for her? She's a nearly 8 year old spayed female who weighs 9 lbs.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I assume you are talking about the 5.5 ounce standard can. How much is a few bites of the dry? Try putting it out a tablespoon at a time to see exactly how much she eats. Otherwise, she sounds like she is eating more than she was. Like vball91 said, use your judgement on weight versus amount eaten. I am sure you will come up with the perfect amount fairly quickly.