How can I get the Cats to use Separate Litter Boxes?

ferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently got a brand new litter box with fresh litter for Dolly to use due to urine problems regarding behavior. Wren has now started using it too and I've started seeing a sign as if Dolly isn't happy about that due to Dolly going after Wren when Wren wants to cuddle with Dolly.

How can I get Wren to use the older litter box like she always was?

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I find it pretty impossible to keep cats from using a particular litter boxes in the house. I am a little confused as to why they have to be separate? I am assuming it is because Dolly urinates outside the box and you think it is due to Wren going in there? Or is it because she attacks Wren after he uses the litter box?

If Dolly is urinating outside the litter box it may be a good idea to keep her segregated with her box until she is using it regularly and then you can slowly let her have the run of the house. If Wren using the litter box prevents her from using it-you could try cleaning it every time he uses it.

If you are trying to separate the littler boxes because Dolly attacks Wren when they are cuddling I think this would be something completely separate and may not even be connected to the litter box. You could try mixing their scents or putting vanilla on both of them. A feliway diffuser may help as well. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Urine issues Dolly was having had to do with smelling and seeing her fellow ferals outside and needing a brand new litter box.

Dolly right away started using the brand new litter box and since I closed the rear curtains she hasn't urinated anywhere else.

Dolly doesn't seem to be "attacking" Wren but still goes at Wren with her paws and mouth before Wren leaves and rests on a table.

The issue about Wren using Dolly's litter box just started Sunday. Wren is a cat's cat and is a follower of Dolly.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Urine issues Dolly was having had to do with smelling and seeing her fellow ferals outside and needing a brand new litter box.

Dolly right away started using the brand new litter box and since I closed the rear curtains she hasn't urinated anywhere else.

Dolly doesn't seem to be "attacking" Wren but still goes at Wren with her paws and mouth before Wren leaves and rests on a table.

The issue about Wren using Dolly's litter box just started Sunday. Wren is a cat's cat and is a follower of Dolly.
It shouldn't be a problem if Wren is using the other litter box too it is pretty normal for cats to share boxes and since Dolly stopped urinating outside the box it shouldn't an issue imo. It honestly doesn't sound like anything to worry about. 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would add another box, or even two. With two cats, three or four boxes, there is a much higher chance that Dolly will have a fresh litter box when she wants one, Wren won't be able to generate enough pee to fill them all. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would add another box, or even two. With two cats, three or four boxes, there is a much higher chance that Dolly will have a fresh litter box when she wants one, Wren won't be able to generate enough pee to fill them all.
Thanks for the tip