How can I get my elderly cat to like his pine pellets box? Has chronic constipation

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could you put in a call to your regular vet?
Not on weekends. For some reason these things always seem to happen when their office is closed. There is no mobile vet in the area and the one in town - which he doesn't go to - is closed.

I can do an online appt later with an emergency vet that was recommended by his regular vet awhile back, but there's only so much they can do via a video chat. He needs to be seen in the office.

After my post, I took him down the hall in our apartment building to get him in a different environment, thinking a change of scenery might help. And it did. We returned to our apartment and I got dressed and took him outside in his carrier. We didn't stay outside that long because it was windy and cold, and then I brought him back inside and took him to the community room and showed him around while I held him after I took him out of his carrier. Hopefully no one will complain because I broke some of the building's rules by doing this but I don't care. I just want him to get better.

Once we got back home, he was eager to get out of his carrier and went to the living room window, He looked outside for a couple of minutes then hopped down and used his litter box. He peed, but no poop yet today. Pumpkin didn't strain or screech or anything like that. I checked the volume after he was done and it was normal, So this is definitely not a urinary tract issue.

When he pooped last night it came out in three pieces, which if lined up, would come to about 2 inches or so, which isn't bad but it was a little on the firm side.

I keep my Ring camera trained on his litter box and when he pooped, Pumpkin didn't screech or act like he was in pain, When he hopped out of his box he went back towards the front door like he oftentimes does. He's been trying to sneak out for a long time.

At the moment he is resting comfortably I need to give him his meds but I will wait until later. I don't want to make things worse by waking him up from his nap.

When he had this spell earlier Pumpkin acted like he just wanted to plop down on the floor and stay there, almost like he didn't want to walk, He was able to walk but acted like he didn't want to go far. I held him in my arms, brought him to one of his beds in the living room and he hopped in it and stayed there but at a weird angle and right up against me. I don't know why but maybe he felt like he had no strength to move? Again, this was when he had the spell nearly two hours ago but he's getting around good now,

I am baffled. I don't know what to do and feel powerless to help him. Sorry for rambling.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As to the differences in those two foods, there is fiber, and then there is fiber. I'd say the fiber is the Royal Canin is probably a better fiber, because so many people say it really works for their cats. What is weird is that I just looked it up (also on Chewy), and it shows a 7.7 lb bag, and shows the fiber content is 8%. this is different from what you screen print shows, both in bag size and fiber %!

Not sure if I mentioned it before, but I put my cats on an 8% fiber dry food for a bacterial imbalance one of them had and they started pooping huge amounts! But then it caused constipation in the one prone to it because his stools were so huge on that amount of fiber, so I had to mix the high fiber food with a lower fiber one to sort that out. I guess what I'm getting at is perhaps the fiber in the food I chose wasn't the right type because it bulked up the stool too much. As mentioned above, there is fiber, and then there is fiber (soluable and insoluable)
This reminds me of what I said to one of his vets yesterday.. She strongly recommended the Metamucil but I am concerned that if he was on this long term it could make his constipation worse. Too much fiber can worsen constipation for anyone whether people or animals.

I can't explain the different information we got. That is strange. Were you looking at their Gastrointestinal Fiber Response?

I would like to give him scrambled eggs if it would help him but his vet was against the idea.

I am at a loss as to what to do.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has your Vet ever suggested putting Pumpkin on "Prescription Diet" ? If not perhaps that type of diet my solve those constipation issues. One of my two boys has issues with diarrhea from primary soft food. I had been feeding Blue Buffalo Wilderness in both can and dry. The Vet put Miles on "Hills" Prescription Diet i/d . That solved the diarrhea issues. I changed one of their two litter boxes from Dr. Elsey's Clay Clumping to "Pretty Litter". Of the two litter boxes both now prefer using the "Pretty Litter". Pretty Litter is so easy to scoop. I can see why the boys like it. Only downside is the price. I paid $33.00 a bag for the clumping at Walmart. I'm told that "Hills" Prescription can be gotten from Chewy. I prefer buying mine locally at the Vet's.

Attachments

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She suggested Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Fiber Response but he tried it some years ago and only liked it temporarily, There has to be another solution. As for litter, he's supposed to be on non-clumping only per his vet. I heard of the pretty litter. It sounds nice.

I tried to get him to transition to pine pellets but that didn't work out. So, when I scrubbed both boxes today I made both with just non clumping clay litter. Both boxes are low to the floor with an opening in the middle. They're great for senior kitty's.

Thank you!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She suggested Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Fiber Response but he tried it some years ago and only liked it temporarily, There has to be another solution. As for litter, he's supposed to be on non-clumping only per his vet. I heard of the pretty litter. It sounds nice.

I tried to get him to transition to pine pellets but that didn't work out. So, when I scrubbed both boxes today I made both with just non clumping clay litter. Both boxes are low to the floor with an opening in the middle. They're great for senior kitty's.

Thank you!
Pretty Litter comes in both Non Clumping and Clumping.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pretty Litter comes in both Non Clumping and Clumping.
i will look for it. Thanks!

Btw, he ate some more. He's definitely more chipper than he was earlier but now that I managed to give him some more medicine, Pumpkin is not very happy with me. I feel horrible.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin never seems to have an issue with peeing. As for pooping, he recently had his Miralax increased but it's getting harder for get him to take his meds. I am at a loss. He won't even take his antacid pill in one of those pocket treats. It worked a couple of times and that's it. I thought that changing the way his pine pellet box is set up might help him.
Do you have a cat lick treat in Australia? Mix the miralax in it. If you can break up the pills you can do the same with them.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have a cat lick treat in Australia? Mix the miralax in it. If you can break up the pills you can do the same with them.
I'm in the United States. I've seen those lick treats but I don't have any on hand. I recently tried some pureed chicken (Inubu?) and he refused to touch it. Pumpkin is a very picky eater. I've added some Miralax to his food but if he's not in the mood for it, this won't do any good. He used to like Friskies gravy but now he won't have anything to do with it.

He just got up from his nap and had a long drink and returned to bed. We'll see what tonight brings. He's usually up and about at night not long before I go to bed. At least he hasn't thrown up today

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can anyone tell me if this is worse-case scenario? I really don't know what to do. I tried tummy massages. Lots of water. I make him take his medicine I try to get him to play but he doesn't seem interested. Pumpkin gets bored easy anyway. He doesn't even respond to his special catnip with Silvervine, which helped him snap out of this about a month ago. I am stumped and very scared.

My stress level is extremely high, which can't be good for him. I'm trying not to freak out in front of him but I am scared that I could lose him. I have no way to get him to an emergency clinic and even the vet triage website probably isn't good enough, He needs to be seen in person or have a miraculous turnaround

Please can someone suggest something that could jump start his bowels? His vet said she didn't support eggs but I'm willing to give it a go if it won't hurt him, He just got up to eat some dry food. I want to feed him just canned but Pumpkin will go bonkers if I do that. I don't want to make his tummy problems worse.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My female cat gets constipated if she eats too much dry food. My 2 cats only get wet now. What I did was give them wet food with some of the dry food on top. Each time I gave less of the dry. I did this over several meals. You could also try soaking the dry food in some water

Sadly dry food can cause so many issues in cats. I feel vets recommend hills and science diet because they are probably getting some sort of kick back from the big companies. I hear so often that vets don’t get much nutrition training during school. If you’re worried about giving raw egg yolk to your cat, they do have freeze dried. There is also some tiki cats that have quail egg in them.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My female cat gets constipated if she eats too much dry food. My 2 cats only get wet now. What I did was give them wet food with some of the dry food on top. Each time I gave less of the dry. I did this over several meals. You could also try soaking the dry food in some water

Sadly dry food can cause so many issues in cats. I feel vets recommend hills and science diet because they are probably getting some sort of kick back from the big companies. I hear so often that vets don’t get much nutrition training during school. If you’re worried about giving raw egg yolk to your cat, they do have freeze dried. There is also some tiki cats that have quail egg in them.
I will try that today. I monitored my Ring camera, which I had focused on his litter box overnight, and he cranked out a poop that was about an inch and a half in length It was rather firm, but when I watched the video he didn't appear to be in distress and I saw him walking back and forth several times between the front door of the apartment, past the bathroom and was acting normal.

I hope that volume-wise, I can get him back to where he used to be. He seems to be doing better today so far than yesterday,,

Another thing I am trying is that I scoop his box after every trip, regardless of what he does (as opposed to once daily) I hope that will help too

Thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would definitely get some Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors to mix his meds and miralax in. I have given it to my cats for years and they have never turned it down. i tried something with my little Molly that may help you, I got some hard treats that she likes and put them in a baggie and used a hammer to smash them to dust. Then I put her pill in a partial piece of pill pocket and rolled it in the dust, coating it. She finally gobbled it right down, she had refused it several times before.
More water always helps constipation, i set a bowl of water across the house right inside my bedroom, it was an unusual place for their water. Everytime they walk by it they go to check it out and they drink. I ahev never seen them drink so much water! So set bowls of water in weird places and see if he will check them out!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will try that today. I monitored my Ring camera, which I had focused on his litter box overnight, and he cranked out a poop that was about an inch and a half in length It was rather firm, but when I watched the video he didn't appear to be in distress and I saw him walking back and forth several times between the front door of the apartment, past the bathroom and was acting normal.

I hope that volume-wise, I can get him back to where he used to be. He seems to be doing better today so far than yesterday,,

Another thing I am trying is that I scoop his box after every trip, regardless of what he does (as opposed to once daily) I hope that will help too

Thank you!
If your worried about Pumpkin not receiving enough moisture then get a Water Fountain . My boys love drinking from the fountain. I see them throughout the day drinking. My DW changes the water on a weekly basis.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
QUOTE="di and bob, post: 5794087, member: 53351"]
i would definitely get some Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors to mix his meds and miralax in. I have given it to my cats for years and they have never turned it down. i tried something with my little Molly that may help you, I got some hard treats that she likes and put them in a baggie and used a hammer to smash them to dust. Then I put her pill in a partial piece of pill pocket and rolled it in the dust, coating it. She finally gobbled it right down, she had refused it several times before.
More water always helps constipation, i set a bowl of water across the house right inside my bedroom, it was an unusual place for their water. Everytime they walk by it they go to check it out and they drink. I ahev never seen them drink so much water! So set bowls of water in weird places and see if he will check them out!
[/QUOTE]
Do they have any Delectables that contain no or very little fish? Pumpkin's vet said he shouldn't have any fish, except for the tiny amounts that are in his treats.

I fed him something new today. I hope he will like it. Tbh, I think it looks like vomit but I'll let Pumpkin decide if he wants it or not:
View attachment 474793

Now for some good news, Pumpkin pooped twice today. The first time was around 4am according to our security camera, which I have trained on one of his litter boxes at night. The second one came around 10am, The first one was quite firm, the second one wasn't nearly as firm, so that's a good sign. Here are a couple of pics along with an empty Fancy Feast can so you can see how big it is in comparison. First one:

View attachment 474797

Second one:

View attachment 474796

I gave Pumpkin his second dose of medicine about a half hour ago but so far he hasn't licked much of it off his paws. I wish that Miralax came in pills because I would try what you suggested with the pill pockets.

I will keep everyone posted. Thank you!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If your worried about Pumpkin not receiving enough moisture then get a Water Fountain . My boys love drinking from the fountain. I see them throughout the day drinking. My DW changes the water on a weekly basis.
Pumpkn has seven very large water bowls scattered through our apartment. I tried several fountains but maintenance was very hard with a couple of them, Another one didn't last long so I gave up. He seems to prefer this set up. Tx!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know what happened to that first post with all of the attachments. I must have messed up something but don't know how to fix it. Sorry!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, now I'm confused as to what's going on. Here's his poop schedule for the past couple of days, some of which I posted pictures that you see above;

4/21/24
4:10am - pooped
10am - pooped

4/22/24
5am - pooped

4/23/24
4:10am - pooped

But around 5 and 6am (again, this is today) I saw Pumpkin go in his regular box, scratch around acting confused as to where his earlier poop was and kept sniffing around. Then he gave up and left his box. He meowed AFTER he did this. Not before. One time he was meowing whilst looking straight out of the bathroom door, the other time he was looking towards the front door of the apartment. Pumpkin did not act distressed at all. Both of his attempts at puttering around in his box looked like he was trying to find the right spot to poop. I happened to be up at about the time he pooped at 4:10am today and scooped it out of his box straight away. Maybe I should have left it there?

I thought it would help if I scoop after each potty trip, regardless of whether he poops, pees or both.

Maybe I was wrong to do this?

Pumpkin is eating and drinking good. He was grooming himself a short time ago, What gives?

Maybe I'm being overly worried. I know I am sleep deprived and need to go back to bed but wondered what you make of this. Maybe I should leave his box alone after he uses it and scoop it just once daily like I used to?

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, now I'm getting REALLY worried. I heard Pumpkin in his box yet again but this time he peed.

He peed at 4:10 am this morning just before he pooped. And he peed just a few minutes ago. It's about 9:30 so that's a little over 5 hours and he peed TWICE. That's not like him.

Please somebody help me. I am scared and don't know what to do. PLEASE.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok, now I'm getting REALLY worried. I heard Pumpkin in his box yet again but this time he peed.

He peed at 4:10 am this morning just before he pooped. And he peed just a few minutes ago. It's about 9:30 so that's a little over 5 hours and he peed TWICE. That's not like him.

Please somebody help me. I am scared and don't know what to do. PLEASE.
Deep breath to center yourself and then call the vet to make an appointment for today. Scoop the most recent poo into a plastic bag to take with you.

Ensure the vet takes a urine sample and checks his teeth (mouth infections can transfer to bladder infections through grooming).

If he goes to the box, strains and nothing comes out, then go to Emerg. Dont wait for a vet appointment. If he's still going a little you can wait for your appointment.

You've done well to notice quickly!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Deep breath to center yourself and then call the vet to make an appointment for today. Scoop the most recent poo into a plastic bag to take with you.

Ensure the vet takes a urine sample and checks his teeth (mouth infections can transfer to bladder infections through grooming).

If he goes to the box, strains and nothing comes out, then go to Emerg. Dont wait for a vet appointment. If he's still going a little you can wait for your appointment.

You've done well to notice quickly!
I'd take him today but can't because my wheelchair bus requires two days notice. I did call the vet and have an appointment scheduled for Thursday. They told me he s/b ok for now but to call if anything changes.

What I worry about is worse-case scenario. I've always been like that with all of my health problems. What if he get worse before then? What will I do if I can't get him there in time?

We are in desperate need of a mobile vet in this area. I have neighbours with pets who agree with me on that.

I need to go to the laundromat because my laundry is really piled up but I am scared to leave him alone for a couple of hours. Maybe I'm overthinking this and getting too worried. The vet's office told me that oftentimes when a cat is constipated, they can pee more frequently or maybe he's doing this because he may have been drinking more.

Sorry I'm such a nervous wreck. I've got a lot going on, not just Pumpkin's health. Mine isn't that great either.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.