How can I get my cat to stop licking his open wound?

That_crazy_cat_lady777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Axl, as I wrote on another post, recently had an abscessed anal gland rupture. He has an appointment w/a vet this coming Monday. He originally had an E collar that I put on him and I cleaned the wound several times a day while he’s also on antibiotics. However he has been severely depressed with the E collar and so I decided to remove it because he had figured out a way, last night, to sit that allows him to reach the wound and lick it anyways, so the collar felt pointless. Since I’ve removed it he hasn’t stopped licking it obsessively. I try to stop him but he won’t stop. The only way to get him to stop would be to physically restrain him, but he’s almost 15 lbs and feisty. He hissed and swatted hard at me when I tried to put a warm compress on it to reduce the swelling a little bit ago. Since then he’s been in a “I will attack you” mode. Honestly he’s NEVER hissed at me before so this was shocking. What can I do to stop him from licking it without using a cone?

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it's awful to put them in a cone but chances are the vet will put him in one on Monday anyway. You'll need to follow doctor's orders at that point so it's likely safer to keep it on for now. When my cats need cones I use the fabric ones with velcro from Amazon and I push them backward (over their shoulders) so they can eat and drink without it getting in the way. I even take the collars off a little bit if the cat is in eyesight and they're asleep or not scratching. I know you likely can't afford to get a fabric one but I think it's safer to use whatever you have than be sorry if he injures himself by licking prior to his vet appt.

Last edited:

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are also onesies like babies wear that are made for cats. You can get them on Amazon but I think they're mostly for females who get spayed and need to protect their bellies. I don't know how well they'd work for protecting his hind end because there's an opening for them to potty. I'm pretty sure they even sell cat nappies of some sort and I'm sure you could find how to make your own with an old tshirt or something, on YouTube? The problem would be getting your cat to wear it. I tried the onesie for my avatar kitty when she got spayed and she went totally insane from it in five minutes. It was far worse than the cone so I sent it back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

That_crazy_cat_lady777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it's awful to put them in a cone but chances are the vet will put him in one on Monday anyway. You'll need to follow doctor's orders at that point so it's likely safer to keep it on for now. When my cats need cones I use the fabric ones with velcro from Amazon and I push them backward (over their shoulders) so they can eat and drink without it getting in the way. I even take the collars off a little bit if the cat is in eyesight and they're asleep or not scratching. I know you likely can't afford to get a fabric one but I think it's safer to use whatever you have than be sorry if he injures himself by licking prior to his vet appt.
Unfortunately he had already found a way to lick it with the cone on which is why I removed it because it seemed redundant at that point but honestly he wasn’t licking it THIS much when it was on. I think you’re right-I have no choice. I saw those plush flower shaped collars on Amazon like what you’re talking about and they look perfect! Now that you said it worked well for you I think that’s the best answer. I wonder if there’s a creative way to make one… I need to look it up and find out. Thank you for getting back to me!

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
^
That’s why I said onesies likely wouldn’t work and they’re marketed for spays, even though my girl wouldn’t tolerate one and I sent it back.