How can I get my cat to eat wet food?

tiny_beauty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have a 3 years old female cat. She just keeps licking at her food (like water), and barely gets anything into her mouth.:( She loves how it tastes but can’t eat it, just licking.

How to teach my cat to eat wet food?

I really appreciate any help:)

Last edited by a moderator:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try the tips here: Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food – TheCatSite Articles

What texture of canned food are you currently feeding? Some cats prefer foods in shreds / chunks / etc over smooth pate. Extra water can be added to pate foods and the mixture smooshed so it becomes almost liquid-y and then a cat can just lick it all up like water.

What kind of bowl are you eating? Some cats have difficulty picking up food if the bowl is too small or too deep. Try a flat plate or a wide shallow bowl. Does your cat crouch to eat or stands? If your cat stands, try elevating the bowl or plate on a small upside down box or whatever you may have lying around.

Do you also feed dry food?

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you checked her mouth and teeth to make sure thats not where the issue is. Try hand feeding her just to get her started, a bit messy for you but the important thing is for her to eat.