How can I convince him?

grissom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any man I brought home had to pass the Bobo test. If they laughed at him or didn't like him, I didn't keep them. Rob passed. And though he doesn't quite understand how I love cats more than dogs, he does accept it. I don't know what I would ever do if I was with someone who didn't.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to ask him WHY he doesn't want another cat! If he can't give a good/reasonable explanation.....then John and Hissy are right. My b/f's family never had cats, but he always liked them when he'd go and visit his relatives. When we went to the cat shelter he fell in love with Summer rather quickly (she was sticking out her paws demanding attention). When I mentioned getting a kitten (my Mom recently found 5 orphans) he said "No, let's wait until we get a bigger place and then you can get as many kitties as you want." We DO have a rather small apartment, and will be moving next year when we both graduate....so I can wait.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest asking him to look at the kities with you, and hope licks him.. it worked for Jason.. we got Paige for me and Molly and she's his little girl now, lol.. the only one she doesn't bite or claw at..

Molly might be our first cat,
but Paige is his little baby.

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My b/f waited 3 years to move in with me because he disliked cats so much...and was hoping that I would give in to him and find my cat a new home--that was a joke! I very firmly expressed that the cat had been in my life a lot longer than he had...and if HE wanted me in his life he would have to learn to love cats too.

We have lived together 5 months now...and first thing he does
when he comes home is look for the cat to pat his head. And I always find them curled up sleeping together.

However, even with this said...I think it would also take many YEARS of coaxing to get him to agree to a second cat in our home. (one day!) But for now, I am thrilled that he has fallen in love with Dylan. I am shocked an amazed...and he blushes every time I remind him "for a non cat person...you sure love that cat!"

So my advice, don't push, just keep the idea out there....and don't drop it--even if it does take awhile. He'll give in, especially if he bought you Dori for Christmas.

dz4boyz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my dh knows he doesn't stand a chance around here when we decide to get another pet so he just looks at me and says.......whatever you want dear!! lol

i was never a cat person myself until recently - the kids had been begging for a kitten, we already have a golden retriever and have gone thru the hamsters/guinea pig/bunny/lizard stages.....so after much research on my part i finally gave in............and when we came home from the shelter we had a brother and sister.......couldn't leave with just one - hehehe - and DH just looked at my with those eyes and said - you're crazy!! now we are all in KITTY LOVE!!!

and good luck with your s/o - hopefully he'll come around - how do you think he would react to a surprise house guest??

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh Tanya - just read this thread...

my story is sooooo very similar to yours its not funny. I have always wanted a cat - my husband is not a cat person (I think this stems from the time 15 years ago that his childhood cat chewed up his favourite Michael Jordan poster - he swears to me now that it would of been worth a fortune!!!
)

However he knew that no matter what he thought or said that once we got married and bought a house that I was getting a cat. period. nothing he could say to that. It was all about compromise. He wanted a dog. I wanted a cat - good deal!!

So Tipsy came along.... and then I wanted a second - He kept saying things to me like "if you bring another one home its to be locked outside" or "it will be going straight back". I so desperatly wanted one - tried the puppy dog eyes - tried discussing why he didnt want another one - did all that. But thought - fairs fair - he isnt a huge cat lover and I cant make him understand where I was coming from.

Over the months I only mentioned a second cat occassionally - always got the same response... but I had accepted his wishes - until that ONE DAY he changed his mind!!!
I was lying in bed talking to Tipsy - "saying would you like a brother - do you get lonely when we are not here - do you need a playmate - its nearly the end of kitten season - if you want one I have to get one now" - and my husband was listening (not that I knew) he just walked into the bedroom and said - go and get another one!!! I just looked at him thinking "who stole my husband"
I seriously could not believe it!!!
and along came Cedar - it was the best thing we could of done (and he even admits that too!!!)

I like you would never just go get one and surprise him (although I was tempted at times
) but dont hassle him about it - I tried that tactic and it soooo does not work - just drop hints - talk to Dori (and make sure he hears you doing it - but secretly of course!!!
)
you never do know but that day might just come when he also says - go and get one!!!

now I gotta start working on the third