How blinking stupid can you be!?!?!?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I'm glad you're okay! When I was a teenager, one of the boys (a year younger) blew up an areosol can in a fire, and blew the top 2/3rds of his ear off. It took several plastic surgeries just to get it fixed to where he could let his hair grow out to cover the missing part...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I was tossing more things on to burn which is why I was so close. It was mostly just papers, boxes, and a bag of NB that was recalled.

Can an empty plastic bottle(like a juice bottle) with the lid screwed on explode in a fire?
Oh yes they can! And it can be quite nasty. My DH and BIL like to throw empty plastic bottles in the fire just to see the show (which is why I stay far away!). That could have been what exploded. They hiss like I would imagine an aerosol can would.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch. I am glad you are ok (slightly hairless, but ok). Glad the dog wasn't hurt!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
During our summer visits to Gramma-and-Grampa's house in Ohio, I always sat out in the back yard with my grandfather to watch the day's trash burn in an old oil drum set up on cement blocks. Aerosols weren't so common then, of course, but we did have something explode once. Thanks to the oil drum, though, the blast went upward, not outward. But we still got quite a shower of sparks... and a good scare!

Awfully glad you were quick enough to avoid the worst of it.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're okay! That would have scared me half to death!

I thought you weren't supposed to burn stuff in MN right now because of all the brush fires?

My neighbor burned a bunch of POISON IVY once! Talk about stupid!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've got our burning permit. It rained yesterday before we burned & after. The wildfires are in nothern(ish) MN. I'm practically in IA I'm in such extreme southern MN. I don't think there are any burning restrictions for us right now....

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I was just wondering.

Did you figure out what exploded yet? That's scary!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope. I don't think it was an aerosol can, I wonder if a bottle from the recycling fell into the garbage can...they are right next to each other.