How big can I expect my cat to get?

Carrot_cake1502

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure whether this is the appropriate forum section, so sorry if it is not exactly related to cat health. I have a 6 month old cat, he weighs 3.3kg will he get much bigger or is he quite close to his final weight?

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Depends on what you mean by "bigger".
Most cats stop growing at around a year old.
But they always can weigh more, with that extra love they get at home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carrot_cake1502

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depends on what you mean by "bigger".
Most cats stop growing at around a year old.
But they always can weigh more, with that extra love they get at home.
What will his final weight be, will he still grow a lot? If so will it be 1kg or like 3kg?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no telling. Some cats are bigger than the others. If there is a particular breed, maine coon cats tend to grow really big.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Genetic background means a lot. As stated above if he has one of the bigger breeds in his background he will be bigger. Most males weigh around 10 lbs or 4.5kg at a year. A Siamese can mature at 6 lbs. and a Maine coon at 25lbs. It really depends on how much nutrition and food they get when growing up too, a kitten that has to hunt it's own or doesn't get much is much smaller. I have noticed my inside males get bigger than average when I feed them well all their lives, in both stature and weight. My cats average around 14 lbs and are a little overweight by looking at them.

Carrot_cake1502

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Genetic background means a lot. As stated above if he has one of the bigger breeds in his background he will be bigger. Most males weigh around 10 lbs or 4.5kg at a year. A Siamese can mature at 6 lbs. and a Maine coon at 25lbs. It really depends on how much nutrition and food they get when growing up too, a kitten that has to hunt it's own or doesn't get much is much smaller. I have noticed my inside males get bigger than average when I feed them well all their lives, in both stature and weight. My cats average around 14 lbs and are a little overweight by looking at them.
I hope he gets enough nutrition he is fed mainly wet food that has a very high percentage of meat. He isn't very keen on dry food, he eats a bit of dry food mixed with wet food. He is an indoor cat also.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned food is actually better than dry. Dry will put on weight easily, but it is a lot of carbs, though the new ones are better. Cats don't get enough water usually, they don't drink enough anyway, and are prone to kidney problems, especially later in life. Canned food gives them more water. The main thing with kittens is to give them ALL they want several times a day, like 4, until they are a year old, then judge if you need to cut back. Kittens are a calorie using little being, they are SO active and use so many calories it is almost impossible to feed them too much.

Carrot_cake1502

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Canned food is actually better than dry. Dry will put on weight easily, but it is a lot of carbs, though the new ones are better. Cats don't get enough water usually, they don't drink enough anyway, and are prone to kidney problems, especially later in life. Canned food gives them more water. The main thing with kittens is to give them ALL they want several times a day, like 4, until they are a year old, then judge if you need to cut back. Kittens are a calorie using little being, they are SO active and use so many calories it is almost impossible to feed them too much.
Thank you, I will feed him all he wants. I was worried about overfeeding.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is recommended to feed kittens under a year old ALL they want,(unless they visibly look overweight, can't feel ribs at all even when pushing in, when looking down from above they have NO waist). I wish someone would withhold food from ME.........